Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Detective Special of late enough production to have the ejector shroud. The SA trigger pull weight is too high. It breaks clean and the DA pull is OK. What basically determines the weight of the SA pull? (It's not the trigger return spring, that's just right.)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
First, how heavy is "too heavy"?
The Colt Detective Special should have a single action trigger pull of 3.0 to 5.0 pounds.
Double action pull should be 14.0 pounds MAX.

There are several reasons the SA pull can be too heavy, mostly attributed to mis-fit action parts, or a mis-adjusted spring.

Unfortunately, short of possibly replacing the spring, there is nothing much you can do about this at home.

Some things to try:
First, cock the hammer, and press "firmly" on the back of the hammer while pulling the trigger.
Once or twice is enough to smooth things out.

DO NOT press really hard on the hammer. It doesn't take much to damage things instead of seat them.

Second, try flushing out the action and re-lubing.
Sometimes grit and fouling get into the action and cause rough or heavy operation.

If this doesn't do it, send it in to Colt or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters for adjustment.

Again, there is nothing you can do to "fix" mis-fit or mis-adjusted parts yourself, unless you're a trained, Colt qualified pistolsmith.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DA pull is under 14 lbs. Seems quite normal. The SA pull is clean and crisp, just too heavy, over 5 lb. Everything seems quite normal and OK, including the trigger return force. Only the SA pull is off the mark.

I suppose the first thing to do is take the side plate off and see what lurks in there.

What's the possibly misadjusted spring? On a S&W some people use the main spring tension screw as an adjustment although it's improper to do so. (I am much more familiar with the innards of a S&W.)

While we are more or less on the subject, I have a New Service in which the trigger return is not quite as positive as it should be. Seems to have a little hesitation if you release the trigger slowly.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Colt's 'vee' spring is adjusted by bending.
This is usually done to LIGHTEN trigger pull, buy inserting a punch "up to" 1/4" between the legs of the spring, than cocking the hammer.

Usually nothing approaching 1/4" is ever needed.

To much of this is the "usual" reason for mis-fires and sluggish trigger return in the Colt's.

If the pull is TOO light, often the spring can be re-tensioned by bending back, or simply replacing.
In the case of your New Service, try to clean things out and re-lube, then gently re-tension the spring.

Again, the reasons for HEAVY SA pull are several, and without an actual inspection, I can't give you a definite reason.

Unless there's something obvious like some grit or crud, it'll likely need a trip to a qualified repair service.

Also again, unless you're a qualified Colt pistolsmith, I DON'T recommend attempting a "Fix" ESPECIALLY without properly diagnosing the EXACT problem.

Colt's are "different" and have a non-obvious mechanism that is difficult to diagnose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'll open it and look for the obvious.

As far as I can tell by feel (catching the hammer between my fingers) the hammer fall has the normal force.

I had a shotgun jam up on me. Turned out to be a metal chip from the machining that got caught in the works.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've taken the side plate off and can find nothing amiss. I think it's a matter of simply having too stiff a SA pull and needs a little dressing on the sear, etc. How ever I am not convinced I want to start messing around with stones. Easy to go wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts