Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 1970s I owned one of each; both were of the same vintage with shouded barrels. Foolishly, I sold them both before the decade was over. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lately, I have been thinking more and more about getting one or the other.

Hypothetically, if I could find an example of each in 99% condition, which would be the better choice? Was the Cobra any more prone to problem(s) due to its alloy frame? How about timing and cylinder lockup issues? For 99%, excellent condition, is $400 too much to pay?

Comments and/or suggestions welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
guns are basically the same, cobra is easier to carry because of weight but shows wear more quickly on it`s aluminum frame.i would suggest one of each. i would think if you shop around you could pick up a nice shooter grade for around 325$ ea.i would avoid nib guns as they are too nice to use and will quickly turn you into a collector. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif a nib .38 cobra will start you looking for a nib .32 and....

·
Registered
61 Posts
FWIW Dept:

I have two older blued Cobra's (exposed ejector rods) and one relatively new nickle DS (1982 production).

For my needs I have found that the lighter Cobra's make nicer cc firearms. My wife prefers a Cobra when she is traveling in her car, and I do the same. While both are old, I've never had a problem with timing or any other issue with either of them.

The newer nickle DS we keep stashed in the kitchen where it is easily accessable to my wife or myself should uninvited guests drop by..

I would think $400 or less would get you a very good example of either. I think if I were in the market I would prefer another Cobra, but I would accept whichever popped up first.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Laserlips -

Your pictured Detective Special looks identical to the one I had. I do recall that mine had an extremely heavy DA trigger pull which I attributed to the effort required to rotate the cylinder. Possibly, the nickel plating reduced the tolerences a bit too much to allow the cylinder to spin freely. I had hoped that a high quality lube would have helped, but it didn't.

Just FYI, I traded my LNIB Cobra in on a NIB S&W model 19 (I still have it) because I was concerned about the possible weakness of the aluminum frame. I did love that Cobra, though.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I presently have only 1 Colt snubby - a '64 long frame Cobra with about 70% finnish left on it and in exc. mechanical condition. I bought this one for $250.00 It is not the prettiest Cobra I've ever owned, but I don't have to worry about marring it up, and it is easy to carry and reliable.

I've had a couple of D.S. both newer ones with the ejec shroud, and I had Agent with the factory installed hammer shroud. They were all in exc or better condition, and I did not carry them very often because of their great condition.

You may want to check with RM Vivas in N.Y. state occasionally. He's always buying used police revolvers(still can find them somehow). I am pretty sure the Cobra I have now came from him. He gets D.S., Cobras, S&W Mod 36s & Modd 37s, and a variety of other handguns. I think he's pretty thin now but go take a look and you'll see what he's had for sale before.

RM Vivas:
http://64.227.196.27/main.html

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts