Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. Just found this forum and thought I'd ask a question. Just ran across a Detective Special, .38 Special, blue, 2"bbl in VG+ to EX condition. Serial number puts it at around 1959/60. I have no experience with the DS. What's a fair price for something as I've described and what are the pros and cons if any of this particular model? Can they be used with +P ammo? Haven't had a Colt revolver since about 1984 when I sold my very first hangun a nickle plated, .357 Trooper MKIII to finance a new Series 80 GM. Still have the GM but miss the MKIII. All opinions and advise will be greatly appreciated TIA.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. +P would not be recommended. Pros of course are 6 shots and compact size. I would check the timing and, if it's been shot some, the end shake. Problems with either are not DIY repairs unless the action is just in need of cleaning. There are some posts on both topics. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A1A Why wouldn't +P ammo be recommended??? The D.S. is a steel frame gun,and was catalogued as being suitable for the 38/44 load,a helluva lot hotter than the +Ps being sold today.

Not a steady diet of +P's mind you,but besides 6 vs. 5 shots,the D.S. had the advantage of being more rugged for +Ps than the steel framed J Framed Smiths like the M-36 or the M-49.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
As early as the introduction of the 38/44 load,circa 1930.Colt listed their .38 Specials-ALL as able to use it- However-even a lover of magnum level loads,like Elmer Keith,said that he'd seen E framed Officers Models,shot loose quickly by a steady diet of 38.44 loadings-quickly. We are talking 158 gr.at 1200 fps in the classic 38/44 loading!! Thats as hot as todays factory .357 loads with 158 grs.

A D frame would probably recoil outta control

My 1932 square butt D.S. gets fired regularly,and has for 15 years that I've owned it,with 158 gr, lhps,that are handloads,good for 900+ fps. out of a 4" bbl. This would be a +P load. Still tight after nearly 75 years.

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Not arguing with experience, just being the messenger. Good info. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Consider that +p ammo is going to be used for defense only....NOT as regular target practice. The few rounds that the gun will realize with +p's will not degrade the gun what so ever. Any 'heavy' steel gun will handle +p's all day long. Just my .02

How people buldge the barrel of a Python is beyond me. It must be from VERY hot home made loads.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info so far folks. Can someone put forth their experiences with this model in general? Do they wear well both externally and internally? Do they tend towards accuarcy? Are parts hard to find? Any thing specific to look for when purchasing or just the normal lockup, timing, push off type checks? any feature or marking that might add to the collectibility?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I'll try again. They are considered accurate for their size. Many, but not all, parts are available, but not from Colt. I would check end shake. Most prefer to buy with original stocks, but that is obviously your choice. Factory installed hammer shrouds get a little extra. JMHO

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I'll try again. They are considered accurate for their size. Many, but not all, parts are available, but not from Colt. I would check end shake. Most prefer to buy with original stocks, but that is obviously your choice. Factory installed hammer shrouds get a little extra. JMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. How much end shake is considered too much?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
For the .38 spl DSs, the headspace spec is .060-.065, b/c clearance is .003-.008 and endshake max is .003. Original endshake from the factory is often essentially zero. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts