Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this one used, LNIB, a few years ago. I'd like some good wood grips for it, but am confused about the different grip sizes they made.

Can anyone help clear things up??

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us both sorrows and joys alike- it is what a man does with them, not what they do to him- that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Since you have a post-1972 Colt DS, there's only ONE size grip that will fit.

This is any grip advertised for late model "D" frame revolvers with the "Stubby" or short grip frame.

Older "D" frame Colt's had a longer metal grip frame, and in fact, few grip makers offer ANY grips for these older models Colt's.

Just specify that you need a grip to fit a late model Detective Special. They'll know just what to send you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Poohgyrr: Just put a set of Badger Custom Grips Boot grips on my Colt D Frame Cobra that looks just like yours. $62.00 in a Rosewood laminate and they fit and feel perfect for point shooting and for aimed fire. The Boot Grip is great for IWB carry or summer carry. Check em out they really work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'll second the use of Badger grips. I had them on a Magnum Carry and still have them on a 649.

I replaced the Badgers on my Colt with a set of Mustang grips, bought from the Judge, on this forum. I got the last pair.

The only reason I changed is that I find that Mustangs, with a little shaping, fit my hand perfectly. The Badgers fit the Colt perfectly and they are made from a beautiful piece of wood.

Check this thread:
http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/000978.html

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 08-02-2004).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 1919-1979 Fitz Pistol Grip Company grips were the aftermarket grips of choice for officers wishing to shoot more accurately and especially owners of the short D frame. These owners found that their short D frame will fit inside of a Fitz longer CV or DB frame that will help them to shoot accurately. Contact me for the particulars as I have a few grips left in my Fitz Co. Archives

------------------
Paul Fitz Jones Retired
Fitz Pistol Grips
Star reloader Reconditioning Center
C-H Saeco Distributor

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update,

I received a set of Fitz grips that are pretty sweet; tey feel great and look terrific. I like the longer grip, and will fill in a small gap to match the grips. I should post a picture next week.

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us both sorrows and joys alike- it is what a man does with them, not what they do to him- that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts