Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an old Detroit Police Revolver serial number 360543 in all original condition. It was given to me by the family of a retired Inspector when they found out I used to work for DPD. It was that or turn it in to be destroyed.
Ok, you talked me into it. I'll keep it.

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
Thanks for sharing . Very cool ! Any markings on the backstrap ? Strangely , the grips show hard use , but the metal looks excellent . Grips swapped ?

About 15 years ago or so , we bought through a distributor some Detroit PD nickel 38's . I think they were 5" Official Police MKIII's . It's been a while back , so I'm not 100% clear . I recall Detroit PD being spelled out accompanied by a property number . Wish I'd kept one . They were pretty nice .

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Thanks for posting the photo of the Detective Special that I'd like to run across, blue or nickel. I imagine it was a tough decision to bring in "another mouth to feed" but you may be commended for doing the charitable thing.

Does it possess any police markings?

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Mitch heres a pix of the backstrap on the DS. Those appear to be the original grips. The finish on that gun shows use equal to the grip wear. The style back then in Detroit and all the way thru the 70s was to shove your snub nose down your pants. Grips took a beating without a holster.

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
In the photos , the nickel just appeared in much better condition than the grips . Bad angle I guess . It looks great .

That's a nice aquisition . Shoot it yet ?

·
Registered
526 Posts
looks like a 1929 vintage piece according to ProofHouse...

very nice. i remember seeing the beat cops carrying the nickled 4" revolvers in flap holster down in Greek town by St. Marys Church...

i havent seen them carrying them in the last couple of years...

david

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Very nice acquisition. I love the Detective and especially like those with police markings. I have a 1962 vintage that was carried for 30 years, by a chicago area officer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts