Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help.
I was wondering what the difference is between early full checkered Python grips and the other Colt (Trooper) Full checkered grips/stocks. Also, did the full checkered Python grips ever come with silver medallions, or just Gold ?

Thanks for your help Oh great one.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
117 Posts
What I've learned from DFaris and others on this forum is that 2.5" barrelled Pythons came with the small service full-checkered grips in walnut with gold medallions, the other Pythons came with good walnut full-checkered target grips, the Officers Model Match came with good walnut full-checkered target grips with Silver medallions and Troopers could get the full-checkered target grips with silver medallions; but made of a non-descript "mystery" wood instead of a good grade of walnut.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
CMcDermott pretty well covered it, except by the later 1960's Colt started putting gold medallions on all guns.

But, the early Type One fully checkered Python grips were always fitted with Gold.

The fully checkered Trooper grips were always Silver, and usually "mystery wood", which I call "American Pisswood".

Keep in mind that over the years Colt grips have been switched and swapped so much, that you're liable to see anything.

Also, there's apparently been a lot of medallion switching also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts