Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D,
Did you see my question regarding any interchangeability of parts between a Trooper MKV and the King Cobra?
If you know, I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Denis

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I'm sure Dr. D will answer, but within the previous post that you appended with the question, it was stated that the King Cobra is essentially the Trooper MkV with a barrel variation. Jerry Kuhnhausen lumps the J, V and AA frames into the same manual as the actions are essentially the same. The major difference is in trigger and hammer design and material. The J trigger and hammer are sintered and somewhat different dimensionally in the areas related to the "shorter" action of the V andd AA frame guns. The V and AA triggers and hammers are dimensionally the same but the Vs are investment cast carbon steel while the AAs are investment cast stainless. The J triggers and hammers are not functionally mixable with the V and AA, and Kuhnhausen even recommends against mixing those V and AA components apparently because of the different materials. The J safety connector and main spring is also different because of the action differences, but the rest of the V and AA components are apparently interchangeable. I mention the J components not to be confusing, but because they are often misidentified and you need to be aware. Certainly wait for Dr. D's answer and perhaps purchase a Kuhnhausen DA Shop Manual Vol. II for continued reference. JMO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A1A,
Thanks for your post. I'm aware of the general differences between the models & the materials. My question arose from D's comment on the KC being basically a stainless MKV, which led me to wonder if any of the parts are interchangeable between the KC & MKV.
And, the reason for that is that I'm trying to beat the inevitable point in time when spare parts for a number of my revolvers will no longer be available. My interest here would be more in hands & bolts & so on, I wouldn't mind having several stainless versions in the archives for my MKV. A spare stainless trigger & hammer as backups (they'd look a bit out of place on the blued gun) would be do-able, I suppose, but I'm looking elsewhere for blued spares for those.
Was hoping D would respond, he's much more intimately acquainted with the Colts than I am. I'm more Smith and Ruger, but looking to support this MKV and the MKIII I picked up recently.
The DA Colt Kuhnhausen books are on the list, but not right near the top at the moment.
Thanks again.
Denis

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts
A1A pretty well covered it.

The only real difference between the Mark V and King Cobra is the barrel and the material the parts are made of.

Colt had the same part number for the hand on ALL Mark III, Mark V, and King Cobra guns, and I'd bet the same part was used on the Anaconda.

The bolt was the same design on all the models, with only the KC made of stainless.
Again, other than that the Mark V was carbon steel, and the KC was stainless virtually all parts will interchange.

KC parts are still in good supply, so they're not hard to find.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks D,
I appreciate the help. That's what I was hoping for. Couple small parts here & there and some springs, and we should be in business.
Time to warm up the credit card & start making some phone calls.
Denis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts