Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dfariswheel,
You seem to know EVERYTHING there is about Pythons and I sure "THANK YOU" you for all your contribution.
So, tell us what you DONT KNOW about these firearms.
Bet you have never been asked that question before : )

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,902 Posts
Smart A**ed kids.

I DON'T know "everything" about Pythons or anything else.

I used to be in the business, and spent a LOT of time and money buying books, reading them, seeing and working on a lot of Colt's.

Spend enough time, effort, and money, and you too can "know everything".

Kind of like being an "overnight success" after spending 35 years of effort.

There's a LOT I don't know.
I THOUGHT I knew about all the versions of Colt post-war target grips, but a few weeks ago I came across a "transition" grip.

This apparently was a transition between the second type with the curved checkering around the medallion, and the third type with the straight checkering below the medallion.

This transition had a curved area around the medallion, blending into a straight portion at from and back of the pattern.
Sort of like the straight border checkering with a circular cutout in the middle for the medallion.
It had the "thumb rest" on both sides.

So, whenever you think you know it all.....guess again you don't know Sh**.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-30-2004).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,902 Posts
As you get older you know more and more about less and less, until eventually you known EVERYTHING about NOTHING.

Or you know less and less about more and more, until you know NOTHING about EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
991 Posts
dfariswheel,

You say you used to be in the business and have worked on a lot of Colts. Are you actually a certified gunsmith?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,902 Posts
Master watchmaker/"real" gunsmith, specializing in Colt DA revolvers....RETIRED.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 08-01-2004).]

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
As long as the subject is "everything" about Pythons that dfariswheel knows, I will respectfully ask what he knows about the box style of early first-year Pythons?

dfariswheel, do you think early Python boxes are the medium brown leatherette higned style (as used with the early Officers Model Match and "357" for instance) with the gold end label, or the telescoping woodgrain style with the yellow end label?

Have you ever seen one of the medium brown leatherette hinged boxes with a serial number written on it?

Colt boxes are an enigma sometimes. As an illustration, I have an early dark brown hinged box with a Detective Special end label and a sticker on the lid end stating "LIGHTWEIGHT." The serial number on the box bottom indicates a very early Cobra.

Correct boxes are hot right now (just check the prices on eBay), and this early Python box issue has been on my mind. Any thoughts?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,902 Posts
Sorry, I can't help on boxes for two reasons:
1. Because most of the Colt's I saw were not in the box at the time.

2. I was more interested in what was IN the box, than the box.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,902 Posts
The other source are several books written by R.L. Wilson.

He wrote "Colt: An American legend", which is considered by the Colt factory to be the "official" history of the company.

This book has pictures of every firearm model Colt ever made, with most illustrations being highly engraved models.

In the back of the book, he has all known Colt serial numbers and production data up until the publishing date in 1985.

He also sells a smaller booklet with just the production data, as a reference. Do a search on the web for R.L. Wilson's web site where you can buy them.

There is no other data available after 1985, but Colt will give you a production date over the phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts