Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DFariswheel:

Since you had indicated before, that the Trooper Mark III had some problems with potential firing pin breakage(Due to dry firing)because some of these firing pins had been hardened too much(By Colt)I wanted to ask you, if this problem was mostly, isolated with these(And, other MK III Colt's)or if the earlier Colt revolvers(Such as the Colt model .357?)also had this same firing pin breakage problem(Or, if so, was this problem as severe as for the MK III, revolvers?)?

On a Colt model .357, is it harmful to dry fire it(Without snap caps(Even doing this lightly?))or, not? I don't normally ever do this-but, I'm asking this, because I got carried away while lubricating my Colt .357 and, since I'm used to pulling the trigger(On my Ruger Security Six)a few times while lubricating it, to distribute the lubricant inside the gun, I accidentally, did this same thing with my Colt .357(Maybe dry firing it 10-12 times(Before I realized that I wasn't dealing with my Security Six(In which case, Ruger specifies that dry firing is OK!))so I was concerned if this might have been enough to do any damage to the firing pin on my Colt .357? I'll appreciate your answering my questions here? Thanks!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dfariswheel:

Thanks, for your excellent input! This is very valuable information for me to know! As always, I knew that you would respond, with your usual "Expertise" in giving very accurate and reliable Colt information! I appreciate your taking the time, to thoroughly answer my questions! This Forum is very lucky to have you!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The Trooper Mark III firing pin problem was NOT found on the Colt E & I framed guns like the 357 and Python with frame mounted firing pins.

The E & I pins are larger, and there never seemed to be a breakage problem.

In the event you DO break an E & I pin, it's easily owner replaced by removing the rear sight, and sliding the retainer plate up.

I've very rarely ever seen a broken E & I firing pin, and as far as I've seen, there is no problem with dry firing these guns.

I've dry fired my Pythons and Troopers for many years with no damage or broken pins.

One note: In all the exploded views of the frame mounted firing pin E & I revolvers, the firing pin spring is shown BACKWARD.
This is even on the current factory drawings.

On many 357 and Trooper drawings, the firing pin and spring isn't show AT ALL.

Many years ago a commercial artist got it wrong, and all subsequent drawings copy the incorrect drawings.

The firing pin spring's small end goes over the firing pin and the wide, open end is to the front.

·
Registered
909 Posts
DFariswheel:

I remember reading about early MK III's having a "sintered" firing pin that was prone to breakage - any chance that you would know when or what serial range that was remedied? BTW - thx for your great 'smithy posts, they are appreciated;>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Colt never used a sintered firing pin on their revolvers.

Sintered steel was OK for many parts, but the small Python and Trooper Mark III firing pins aren't one of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts