Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of you old time Colt fans know.
Did Colt ever make the Diamondback in 2 1/2" 22LR Nickel? In all my travels I have never seen one. I have had people say "Oh ya! I've seen one" but can never remember where or how or when. A good example is, have you ever seen one on GB or Gunsamerica etc., if so when, so I can look it up? Conflicting reports are that they never made any in Nickel but shipped some in blue and somehow these were returned to the factory, stripped and re-nickeled. I for one, would be interested in one if it was factory issue but not if if it was a factory re-do. Without a serial number I can't even get a letter from Colt, so where do you go but here. Thanks Dick

·
Registered
95 Posts
According to the Blue Book, Colt did make nickel plated Diamondbacks. 2 1/2 inch 22 LR chambering is a rare find and if the finish is original would make this a very rare specimen.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stans

I just noticed that was you first post, Welcome! to the forum and keep you comments coming. We are all on here to help each other and to voice our opinions about something we may know that possibly the poster may not know. They are strictly our opinions. The whole idea is promote Colt shooting and buying and selling and collecting and whatever as Colt fans. Welcome Aboard! Dick

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks, I have been lurking a while, but when I saw that a question was not answered, I thought it was time to chime in.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Which Blue Book are you citing from? My 20th edition states that the 2 1/2" .22lr Diamondback is scarce, but it doesn't specifically refer to a nickeled version. It does notes that you add $55 to the price for nickel finish that applies to the price of all the Diamondbacks. The only reference to one particular model is for the 6" nickeled .22 that we all know about.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Majic

I hate to part with gun money, but I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a digital camera so I can post a picture of the 6" nickel 22lr I have. It is NIB with the hang tag and even warranty card and all papers. I take it out of the safe about once a month to remind myself why I collect Diamondbacks. Now that one is rare! Dick

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Blue Book is the 23rd edition. It indicates that the 2 1/2 inch barrel is scarce in .22 LR. Add 20% for nickel finish, add 30% for .22LR 2 1/2 inch or .22 Magnum. And I did say this would be a rare specimen if it was the original finish. I know 38's could be had in nickel finish and there was a run of .22's with the six inch barrels in nickel.

[This message has been edited by stans (edited 08-21-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, with Colts especially, you have to have the latest Fjestad. They tend to ignore Smiths, but with Colts they are usually pretty close on price.
That said, can we get back to my question. Somebody out there must know the answer about the 2 1/2 nickel 22LR. Like did they make them or did they not?
Dick

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Just because the Blue Book seems to imply there are nickel 2.5-inch .22 Diamondbacks, do not necessarily believe it. I interpret that line to mean to add 20% for nickel finish on Diamondbacks, IF they are made in nickel. I do not believe there were any 2.5-inch .22 DBs in nickel. The 2.5-inch .22 DB is a rare animal in itself. If one were found in factory nickel, the price would be in multiples, not 20%! Likewise with a .22 WMR DB. It would not be 30%, but more like 300%!

In my opinion, the Blue Book does a terrible job with Colts. For example, it talks about "First Issue" Detective Speicals (and Cobras) and by that apparently means any one without a shrouded ejector rod. What about the Pre-War square butt guns from 1927 through 1933? What about the Pre-War guns with round front sights? What about the long-frame Post-War, Pre-1966 guns? What about the short-frame Post-1966/Pre-1972 unshrouded ejector rod guns? What about the Post-1972 shrouded ejector rod guns? What is that, five "issues?" That does not even get into the later versions introduced in the 1990s.

A similar problem exists with describing Commanders, Combat Commanders and .38 Supers as "Pre-Series 70." The distinguishing feature of the Mark IV/Series 70 pistols was the collett bushing. No Commander, Combat Commander or .38 Super ever had the collett bushing so they cannot be "Series 70" pistols. If there were no "Series 70" pistols, there can be no "Pre-Series 70" pistols.

Apparently the pinhead writing that section of the Blue Book thought since there are Series 80 Commanders and Combat Commanders, there must be Series 70 versions as weil, hence there also have to be Pre-Series 70 pistols. I think part of the problem (maybe most of it) is caused by the "70" prefix on O-frame pistols that began in 1970. That had nothing to do with the characteristic that created the Mark IV/Series 70 pistols, which was the collett bushing.

The Blue Book is a wonderful resource, but it is far from perfect, and the publisher just ignores corrections sent in by "nobodies."

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with JudgeColt, I may have miss spoke on Colt guidline pricing. I know the Smith people have completely ignore the blue book because they feel they have been comlpetly ignored. All the BB does is feature Colts and Winchesters and in my overall opinion don't do too good at that either.
Now when it comes to Diamondback pricing the BB pricing went out the window three or four years back. Two months ago I saw a 98-99% blue 2 1/2" 22LR, that a couple years ago would have easily brought $600- $700 (I saw one go for $750), the guy put a $1200 price tag on it and would not budge on price, as he said "you know I can get it", and sure enough a couple gunshows later it was GONE! I asked him if he got his price and he just nodded and grinned. That kind of pricing is completely off the charts and is INSANE! But then again we never complain when we are selling do we?
On the other subject,I have never seen 2 1/2" nickel 22LR and I too don't believe they exist! If they do exist I will probably take a second mortage and buy one though. Oh well!, Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 08-24-2003).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you confused the model # with the serial # in the pictures from the other post. The model is D5161. The serial is P543xx. You were the one who told me it was an '82 number!
That should be correct as the guns were delivered to my Dad in '83.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OOOPS!

Forgive my senility for showing, those darn D model numbers, I am so used to the D serial numbers, SORRY no harm done! Dick

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Snakebit

Welcome back to the fold, haven't talked at you for a while!
Your Diamondback looks just like mine but for the custom grips ( oops "stocks", JudgeColt wants us real Colt officionatos to call them "stocks" not "grips", so we will succumb,OK? ). Aren't they gorgeous?

It just hit me!!!!!! You may have the earliest and most collectable of all Diamondbacks!!!! Yours has a "D" prefix serial number, which dates second year production 1967, all 6" 22LR Nickel ones I have seen are dated with an "R" or "S" prefix serial number which is correct for 1978-1979 when they made the limited run. In 1967 I don't even think the 22LR version had even been thought of yet. What Colt may have done is made one with your serial number later in 1982 because that serial number hadn't been used yet. Whatever, because "D" and 1982 don't go together.

You mentioned "small regular production run", some later research indicates it was not 2200 but closer to 900 as the real production quantity. Anyway you cut it, these are beautiful guns!! Thanks for the pics, we need more on the Colt forum. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 08-24-2003).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know where a 4" nickel .22 diamond back is for sale. I looked it over last Friday. But the price is $1,200. I believe the dealer has it listed on Gun Broker. He is based north of Lewisville, Texas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts