Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased two Diamondback .38 specials. The guns appear to be in excellent external condition, but the trigger and hammer occasionally lock up on one of them during dry firing and more often during live fire. This happens once the trigger has been released and has traveled all the way forward. I have not been able to determine any clear pattern as to how often the lock ups occur; just that they occur at irregular intervals and more often during live fire.

Once the gun is locked, I cannot pull the trigger or the hammer, but I can pull the latch rearward with normal pressure and open the cylinder. I also noted that the bolt does not want to drop as it should when a lock-up occurs. Opening the cylinder or jiggling the trigger/hammer solves the problem. I have removed the grips and side plate and have seen nothing obvious that would explain the lock ups. The parts seem to be in good condition, no corrosion or other damage that I can tell.

Any ideas? This gun will not be used for any defensive purpose, so I am not entirely concerned with reliability. But it bugs me that the gun does not work properly.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Sounds like it has something to do with the rebound lever/bolt relationship. That is just a guess, and it might be something more simple. Are the sideplate screws both tight? Is the pin retaining the rebound lever fully in place and not sticking out some from it's place in the frame.

Maybe dfariswheel will have some ideas.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
As above, sounds like a possible rebound lever/locking bolt issue but could be a number of other problems or combination of problems.

Due to the high price of Diamondbacks these days, I suggest returning it to Colt for a proper diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Might just need a good cleaning and oiling.

Screw for the Bolt may be loose.

Hammer Block might be detached from the levers which connect it to the Trigger ( not likely, or it would probably have more consistent freezes).

So, yeahhh, should be dismantled and looked over by someone familiar with the Mechanism, and, if COLT still works on these, that would be a good choice to send it to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who has posted with helpful ideas about this. I have had the side plate off once before, but I didn't notice anything obviously not working properly. The innards were clean; no rust or caked oil and grease. However, it wouldn't hurt to check it out again and make sure all screws are in properly and parts are moving correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.