Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question on manufacturing dates. Were there better years of manufacturing quality with the Diamondbacks?
Were the early production models better made, or are all Diamondbacks of equal quality regardless of production date?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Quality wise I think they are all about the same. I know of no good year, bad year thing. Obviously the early D serial numbers from 1966 and 1967 bring a slight premium, which is true of any model.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Actually this question is real real close to one I have regarding the Diamondback. Did the Diamondback recieve more hand fitting (similar to the Python) than your standard Detective Special? I've never handled one , but I know they cost more than the Detective Special. So while it seems logical I'm still curious.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Actually this question is real real close to one I have regarding the Diamondback. Did the Diamondback recieve more hand fitting (similar to the Python) than your standard Detective Special? I've never handled one , but I know they cost more than the Detective Special. So while it seems logical I'm still curious.
I'm not sure they received any more special attention than the Det. Spec., surely not a fraction of what was put into the Pythons. The added cost was probably due to the larger fancier stocks, adjustable sights, vented barrels and longer barrel lengths 4" and 6" than the 2" DSs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not sure they received any more special attention than the Det. Spec., surely not a fraction of what was put into the Pythons. The added cost was probably due to the larger fancier stocks, adjustable sights, vented barrels and longer barrel lengths 4" and 6" than the 2" DSs.
Okay. Well even then I'm still keeping an eye out for one. Ever since I first saw Steve McQueen use his 2" Diamondback in Bullitt I've wanted one in my collection. Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,088 Posts
The Diamondback didn't receive fitting and tuning like the Python....no other American made DA revolver did.

The Diamondback is really nothing more than the Detective Special/Police Positive Special with adjustable sights and a Python type barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts