Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the Colt forum, and would like to ask my first question about my diamondback. Am new to handguns, so now realize, what I did was a sin, however, can't go back and change my mistake. I had purchased a 4" .22lr,blued Colt Diamondback a few years ago, and did not like the wear and tear on the gun. I took it up to the Colt factory and talked to one to the gunsmiths about bringing it back to its original condition. After a few weeks off waiting, I picked my DB up, and it looked brand new. However, the guys at my gun club told me I just ruined a great revolver. How badly did I ruin this gun, and now that the damage is done, any idea of its worth? Should I sell it, and look for a new DB that is in its original condition? Called Colt, and they said to shoot and enjoy the gun, as that's what it was made to do. They also claim that as they (Colt) refinished and worked on the pistol, it should not harm the value as much as people state. Need information and help on this problem. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You bought a beat up DB and sent it back to Colt to be refinished?

Perfectly normal. It may not be original finish, but you did good by having it refinished at Colt. It won't bring near the value of an original finished Colt DB, but it should be more valuable than what you had ... and it has been gone through by the experts. Unless the DB was near collector quality to begin with, you did not do any harm.

So, take your DB -- shoot it and enjoy it. As to what you did to a DB, no foul. Had it been an early SAA or other highly collectible gun (Snake Eyes or 3" Python), the answer may have been different.

As for the guys at the gun club ... some of those so called experts can be a little lacking in their "expertise".

If you have them, post a couple of "before" and "after" pictures. The experts here on the forum will tell you how you did ...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Forget the naysayers. They are likely jealous and just want to bring you down. Some of the pickiest are the ones who never have the wherewithal to buy in the first place. Enjoy your DB and don't look back. I just won on GunBroker a Woodsman Match Target 1st Series that seller says was likely refinished and has two small cracks in the Elephant Ear grips. Those EE grips are fragile and not many are unblemished. They are rare in any shape and they look great. Yeah, if I wanted to pay twice what I did I would want an original finish gun and unmarred stocks. But I am going to shoot it a bunch and enjoy every shot. Do the same. A year from now you won't recognize this fine weapon as I have big plans to modify it into a one-of-a-kind firearms. Wouldn't do what I hope to do to a NIB Match Target, but wait and see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Let's say that a perfect original Colt DB is worth 100 points. Let's then assume a beat up, rusty old DB is worth 10. The same gun in the condition you described may be worth 50. To my mind, sending it back to Colt's for the restoration, has to be worth about 75-80 points. I really like their advice - shoot it and enjoy it! Love to see pics!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Federal American Eagle (red box), 40 grain, lead round nosed, high velocity cartridges and Aguila Match Pistol, 40 grain, round nosed lead cartridges are the most accurate in my .22 DB. Try them first and see how they do (if you can find them). In fact, the American Eagles are the most consistently accurate ammo in all my Colt .22s.

The pleasure you get in shooting your DB will more than compensate you for the few extra lifeless pieces of rapidly devaluating paper you may someday get for it. You've commited no sin that I can see. Seems like refinishing it was an act of love.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are times when a refinishing is appropriate. Yours seemed like one of those times. Occasionally the purists on the various forums become overly rigid on this issue,
If you are pleased with you DB, then enjoy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for you thoughtfulness and great advise. Glad I joined, as you all seem like a great bunch. I will take you advise, and shoot, shoot, and shoot more and enjoy my Diamondback and Dectictive Special. Never worried about shooting my other Colt semi's or holster wear, and will do the same with this older ladies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I for one think you did the right thing, I shoot three different Colts and I enjoy them. Gun broker is full of refinished guns the people sent back. If your looking to flip it for profit its one thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.