Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a nickle plated Diamondback, circa 1974, that was missing the ejector rod head when I bought it, a few years back.

I recently bought a PYTHON combination ejector rod and head on Ebite, thinking/hoping that I could pull the head off and use it on my Diamondback. Alas, the head seems to be permanently attached to the 2 piece rod, which definitely "appears" to be the same as coltparts.com schematic part #27 (head) and #29 (2 piece rod). The knurling on the rod head is very slightly marred, as if someone, previously, had tried to remove it without protectin it. I've clamped it in a pair of vice grip pliers, after protecting the shaft and head between pieces of leather and have been unable to remove the head.

This leads me to wonder if:
1.The Python head will fit the Diamondback. (I thought they were interchangeable)
2. I can remove the head from the shaft, perhaps with heat, without messing up the nickle plating.
3. I should just give up on using the Python head, sell the assembly to someone who needs it for a Python and simply have the $30 blued Jack First head I bought a couple of years ago nickle plated.
4. I'm crazy for spending so much time, energy and $$$ trying to make the Diamondback all nickle!

Thanks, in advance, for any help/guidance/advice.

AK

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
The rod head on the two piece ejector does not remove. Someone probably marred it by not being careful when removing the rod. There are some previous threads on this, but nickel heads for the older 3 and 4" D frames seem to be scarce. Indeed one previous suggestion was to get a blue one nickeled. If you want to check out other suggestions try an advanced search on ejector head or the like in titles only. :cool:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,071 Posts
The newer ejector rods are made of one piece of steel. The head is made as part of the rod and is not removable.
The Python and all other medium frame ejector rod heads are larger then the Diamondback and will not fit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for confirming what I thought to be the case. I guess I'll go ahead and return the assembly to the Ebite seller for a refund, unless someone here wants it for the $35 I've got in it. The marring of the knurling is very slight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"nickel heads for the older 3 and 4" D frames seem to be scarce"

So I've found out...lol
I did a search here but didn't find anything as definitive as the 2 replies here. Oh well, the search continues.....unless I give up and have that dad gone itty bitty thing nickle plated!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The newer ejector rods are made of one piece of steel. The head is made as part of the rod and is not removable.
The Python and all other medium frame ejector rod heads are larger then the Diamondback and will not fit.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of....oh well...live and learn....:confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
They are hard to find! I got one from "Colt Parts" a year or so back but be specific on Diamondback. They sent be a standard "D" frame rod end and it doesn't work to short. The price was high seems like arounf $35. Someone that advertised on THE FORUM back a few months ago claimed to have one for around $12. Try a search!

Good Luck
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts