Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIAMONDBACK ELECTROLESS \'\' RIMFIRE\'\'

I HAVE A DB 6" ELECTROLESS NICKEL LOOKS LIKE A NEW GUN I AM WOUNDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT A GUN LIKE THIS ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE FINISH I HAVE ONLY SEEN ONE LIKE IT AT THE GUN SHOW SER # S70662 WITH AN LG UNDER # RIMFIRE HAD SOME GOOD THOUGHTS BACK ON 8-23-05 BUT I DIDN'T HAVE SER # THANKS

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Re: DIAMONDBACK ELECTROLESS \'\' RIMFIRE\'\'

S70662 was made in 1981.
The year started at S62978 and the "S" series ended that year.
The ending number was S88000.

The "LG" stamp is an inspector's mark.

Colt offered the Satin Electroless nickel finish on almost all models through the 1980's. They also called it the "Coltguard" finish later on.

The electroless finish was not common on the Diamondback, and especially on rim fire guns.

I'd guess that total production on .22 Diamondback's was quite low.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

THANKS FOR THE INF DFARISWHEEL I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE THE DB IS ELECTROLESS OR NOT IT ISN'T SHINNY OR BRIGHT BUT SOFT LOOKING I'M GOING TO DO HISTORY FROM COLT. I WOUNDER IF IT WAS MADE AT COLT CUSTOM SHOP

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Nobody seems to know much about them in the Diamondback model as they were never cataloged. Based on the several individuals that I have either talked to or corresponded with, all have said that they were custom shop guns that were originally a 6"-blue gun that were moved to the custom shop and the electroless finish put on it. I don't know about production figures, but they have to be pretty rare as far as Diamondbacks go.

I believe one on Gun Broker just recently sold for something like $1700. I would have to go back and look at the auction details as I epected about a $1500 price tag.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

THANKS FOR THE REPLY RIMFIRE THE GUN YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT IS THE ONE I BOUGHT ON LINE TRYING TO FIND OUT SOMETHING ABOUT IT PROB GAVE TO MUCH BUT I NEEDED IT I HAVE OTHER BLU DB BUT NOT ONE LIKE THIS NOT MUCH INFO OUT THEIR

·
Registered
778 Posts

Hi defariswheel: A dealer we go to who that has more than one spooky gun, has a 2-1/2 38 cal. Diamondback in the Coltguard finish. It is about 95%, and we have been very suspicious because this dealer has some refinished guns, amoung them a reblued Shooting Master would you believe. What we need to know first of all, could this be authentic in this configuration, and what markings should be under the grips. This dealer is enough to give you the "willys". Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess that total production on .22 Diamondback's was quite low.

[/ QUOTE ]
dfariswheel is quite right, total production of .22LR Diamondbacks in any length is quite low to say the least.
Your serial number is in the right time frame for E nickel guns such as .38SPL. Your description of the finish sounds like E nickel. I have never seen one in this finish. As 22_rimfire says, the rumor I have is that Colt took about one dozen or so 2 1/2" and 6" blue .22LR DBs and sent them to the Custom Shop and had them E nickeled, how many were E nickeled I am not sure even Colt knows for sure without a lot of research. They would be quite rare indeed.
Regular production "shiny" nickeled DBs have and "N" stamped on the left side of the grip frame just above the locator pin. Let us know every possible marking under the grip frame, I am thinking they may have stamped a "C" there to indicate Coltguard, just a possibility.

Let us know the progress on this gun, please.

·
Registered
705 Posts

I have a few Diamondbacks that are Nickeled. #1. 4in. .38 #2. 2 1/2 in. .38 #3 4in. .22 They are stamped #1-N, #2-IMS,#3-M Why is it stamped other than N I also have a Colt 357 that is stamped INS I can't make heads or tails of the stampings. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

BBBS. you see INS frequently on grip frames and I always took it to mean Inspected. Are you sure the IMS isn't INS?
If they were factory nickeled they should all have an N stamped on the grip frame, unless someone forgot or it was aftermarket. I can say though that all the nickel ones I have seen have the N on the left grip panel.

·
Registered
705 Posts

How many DBacks in nickel 4in. .22 do you think are around? I have never seen another 2 1/2in .38 Both are like new.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

The point about the electroless or coltguard finish on Diamondacks was that Colt made a small run of these non-cataloged models on their own versus a customer paying to have a gun refinished. Yes, you can get the Custom Shop to do most anything but these were "factory offerings".

The most popular statement on rarity is that aproximately 2200 6-inch nickel 22's were manufactured by Colt in 1979. This is contained in the Blue Book of Gun Values. You can interpret as you believe relative to the 4" and 2.5" Diamondbacks.

In general, more 4-inch Diamondbacks were manufactured than 6-inch guns or 2.5-inch guns. But there is some variation between finish and caliber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts