Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a request for the Diamondback experts.What grips are correct for the period the guns were made.If possible pictures would be appreciated.I would also like to than those who have already answered my many questions on the Diamondbacks.All info is greatly appreciated and if i can help anyone with info please just ask.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
4 and 6-inch Diamondbacks had the walnut target stocks. The 2.5-inch DBs had the smaller walnut combat/service stocks. No differences in the details except the medallion being either silver or gold. There are a few around with factory black pachmyr grips in the later years of manufacture.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If I might add, on the walnut target stocks, there were 2 distinct checkering styles. One was a 1/4 circle around the bottom of the medallion. The other was a straight line angled below the medallion.

The target stock also came in a couple of different sizes. The ones with the straight line below the medallion were generally smaller at the base than the 1/4 circle type.

diamondback68 Dick has some photo's of the differences which I think he posted sometime back. He may be persuaded to repost the differences.

Regarding you question as to the period each style was produced: I don't know the exact dates of change but the general rule of thumb with target stocks is the straight line checkering below the medallion are newer style. The 1/4 circle below the medallion are earlier style.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 05-24-2005).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Gladly.
The top one is the smaller straight line checking.
Middle is the larger with the serpentine around the medallion. These are ones most commonly seen on DBs.
Lower one is the later Pachy Jordon style stocks.

I believe the top two could be ordered either one on a gun, but my experience is that the larger ones were more often on the six inch guns (for target shooting, maybe) and the smaller ones were more commonly seen on the four inch guns (for better handling and concealability, maybe).

And of course the already mention service stocks on the 2 1/2" like those seen on DSs and Agents.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Not that I know of.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There is a smooth custom shop grip that was put on (I believe) the bank guns. These have the custom shop medallion on them. I have seen one picture from a member here before (and yes, I have one gun with these on them). Have no idea how to post a picture. Sorry.

Have not even looked at this gun in years from my collection.

[This message has been edited by 22-rimfire (edited 05-25-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have also seen the smooth stocks 22-rimfire mentions. I have even seen the smooth stocks with the Custom Shop Medallion that has some sort of inlay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts