Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw 2 nickle plated .22 long rifle Diamondbacks listed on one of the auction sites. This came as quite a surprise to me. I knew Colt produced the .38 cal Diamondback with a nickel finish years back, but to the best of my knowledge the .22 Diamondback was only offered in a blued finish. Now I come to read the "Pride and Joy" post and see yet another Nickel plated Diamondback. After reading this post I am left with the impression that this item is still available through the custom shop. Could someone please fill me in on the Nickel plated .22 Diamondback. (I think I'm in love.)Is it available in a 4" version? I thought only the Anaconda and Python Elite were the only revolvers being produced by the custom shop.

·
Registered
794 Posts
coltfan55, the Diamondback is NOT currently being produced by the Custom Shop. They stopped making them in 1986.

I believe you misunderstood part of that thread. When db68 (Dick) said it came through the Custom Shop he meant years ago! The fact that the rear sights are the upgraded Colt Elliason (as opposed to the standard Accro) was the point about that particular gun coming from the custom shop. Since I suspect he has the original box & label indicating that the gun was originally shipped that way.

Yes, the Diamondback can be found in 4" nickel. However if you really want a nickel 22 Diamondback, be prepared to spend some bucks! They don't come cheap, as Dick can probably tell you. He clearly has a small fortune invested in Diamondbacks. The 22's seem to command a higher price tag than the blued. And the 22's command a higher price tag than the 38's.

Much of the appeal of the Diamondback is attributed to its likeness to the Python. Some folks will tell you it's a scaled down Python, but that is not correct. The lock works are totally different & the only similarity is the vent rib full underlug barrel.

They are good shooters, & very handsome too.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Well said WS23.
Dummy me for assuming every knew Diamondbacks haven't been around since mid 80,s. WS23, your also right that I have the box with the custom shop label, with indication of the Elliason sights. One other thing on that picture that no one picked up on is the stocks are the smaller "straight line checkering" type at the medalion. Most six inch DBs I've seen usually have the larger stocks where the top of the checkering "snakes" around the medalion. I'll try to post a pic to show the difference, later on this thread.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Here is a picture of three 22LR's.

Top, 6" blue with Accro sights and large, what I call "snake around" stocks(real technical ain't it?)
Middle, 6" nickel with Elliason sights and smaller "straight line", pointed at top stocks.
Bottom, 4" blue with Accro sights and smaller "straight line", rounded at top stocks.

dfariswheel and I have had previous posts about the checkering (pointed and round) at the top of the stocks.

I shot the picture so you could see the bottom of the stocks for size comparison.

I hope this makes things a little clearer. Enjoy!

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 12-24-2003).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dick, actually I did pick up on the straight line stocks. That is usually an indication of a later production Diamondback. I'm willing to bet the ones you have with the straight line stocks are early to mid 80's date of manufacture.

The top picture with the "snake around" stocks I suspect was a mid 70's production or before. Am I close?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
WS23
Not quite.
From top:
6" blue...1978
6" nickel.1978
4" blue...1972

I know the top two are correct, cause I have another 4" 38SPL from 1978 that I got new in box with the same snake stocks. And then of course the 6" nickel 22LR which was NIB also but custom shop Put on the smaller "straight line " stocks.

If I had to suspect one it would be the 1972 4" blue 22LR on the bottom that have the later round top "straight line" stocks in what I call the El Cheapo lighter wood.
Maybe dfariswheel will chime in here, because when we discussed this before I didn't have picture posting capability. He knows his stocks pretty good.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Coltfan when you do decide to find you a 6" nickeled .22lr Diamondback not only bring deep pockets, but be prepared to look hard. They were only made one year and just 2000 of them were built. Don't expect it to sit around waiting on you to make up your mind to buy it. Buy it as soon as you see it.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
diamonback68

I'd say there's pretty much a certainty the 4" grips are a later replacement.

The checkering pattern is wrong for that era, and the lighter wood is a dead give-away.

Were it mine, I'd start haunting Ebay for a pair of appropriate era grips.

Since these were replaced, you'd actually be restoring the gun to proper configuration.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. In case anyone is interested, there are currently 2 six inch nickel .22 cal Diamondbacks listed on Gunsamerica for $1,200 each. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money for a .22. After reading DB68's post I was hoping this might be a new offering from the custom shop. Wishful thinking. If I'm patient, I'm pretty sure I can get a NIB 6" nickel python for less than $1,200, and have the genuine Python action. I currently own a 6" Anaconda, and would also like a Python and .22 Diamondback to pass on to the kids.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
coltfan, I don't know the condition of the two 6" nickel 22Lrs for sale, but at $1200 they are a bargain. As I said once before the dealer I bought mine from tried to buy mine back because he had a buyer, he offer $1400 and I said NO. Knowing Bob I am sure he would have made a profit over that.

You've got the right idea though trying to have one each of those snakes to pass on to the kids.
I'm probably going to pass my Diamondbacks on to my two boys and hope they hang on to them for some time to come.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 12-25-2003).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Coltfan there is a saying that you can wish in one hand and [email protected]#t in the other and see which one fills up first.
Don't hold your breath waiting on a 6" .22lr nickeled Diamondback to show up any cheaper. They truly are collector pieces and have been since they came out. In fact it's not often that they show up on the market from time to time. Good luck on your quest, but beware you will not be the only one keeping an eye out for them.

I would love to have one to go with these myself.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 12-25-2003).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts