Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a 2 1/2" DB in 38 Spec. Gun had more than a bit of wear on it. Too much wear for me to seriously consider it. Just too fussy I guess.

At any rate I noticed an oddity with the hammer/hammer spur.

Looking as if you are aiming the gun and the hammer not cocked. This guns hammer spur is canted downward and to the left pointing to about 8 O'clock (maybe even close to 7 O'clock). I would expect the hammer to be perpendicular to the top of the frame pointing basically at the 9 O'clock position.

Looking from the top of the gun downward on the hammer spur, it is clearly off center to the left as well.

This does NOT appear to be caused by any kind of a drop. Too much force would need to be applied. It could be a manufacturing defect that escaped quality control? It could have been intentionally made that way? It could have been smithed after sale? I just have no clue.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It ain't factory and I sure hope one never leaves the factory that way as a defect.

It is could have been dropped or some "shadetree" gunsmith did a "garage" job on it. I suspect the later.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
This is almost certainly an altered hammer.

Colt didn't "do" hammer defects like this, and Colt revolver hammers DON'T bend...They break.

I once had a Diamondback in for a new hammer. Seems the owner didn't like the shape and wanted to bend the hammer spur upward slightly.

It snapped off. Colt hammers are HARD.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of the explainations provided seem reasonable although I admit to never having heard of a "King cock eyed" hammer.

I probably should have mentioned that hammer spur looks like an original DB hammer in that it has the same style serations (slightly arched) and the same finish.

There were 4 of us discussing this once I identified the annomoly. There was no consensus as to what or why it was like that, with the only exception that we all agreed it appeared to be made that way. In other word no evidence of smithing.

I could live with the finish being less than I would like, but the hammer makes me wary.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
If the finish is so poor as to move this gun to "shooter" status, what difference does the altered hammer make? If it bothers you, buy a new or used hammer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds like someone installed one of the old modified bullseye target shooting hammer. They had a weird cant for shooting single action without disturbing the grip. I've seen them on the OMs before and guess they had them for the PPTs also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts