Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a NIB D'back, .38 4"bbl, electroless nickel from the Colt custom shop. What is the maximum amount that I should pay for this piece? In most likelihood, I will probably re-sell it at a later date, so I don't want to get too nutty. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I happen to have 2 of the same D/B's, posted pictures of them 1-2 months ago. Bought mine years ago at dealer cost, today, I would see what the standard nickel 4", .38, NIB is realistically, actually selling for, not some of these inflated asking prices, and add $200-300. There are not enough sales of the Electroless models to to be more definitive...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would guess somewhere around $1,200-$1,300. There are not a lot around. The only problem might be that it has limited appeal because of its rarity, and the fact that there are so many nice regular nickel DB's around to spend ones bucks on.

Good luck in your decision.,

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The 4" .38SPL Blue are the most common DBs. In nickel, about the fifth most available. Electroless are a little rarer, but not as much sought after because now you are starting to split hairs. If you already have an perfect bright nickel one, do you really need one in a different nickel finish? That sort of thing.
I would say about $1200 +or- $100.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at it on Gunbroker. I bid $575 and knew that that wouldn't last long and it didn't. I just looked and the final selling price was $830. There is no way that I would spend that kind of money for one. I really like D'backs, but it looks as if my 4" .38 will be my entire collection! I have been trying to get a decent .22 for some time, but THOSE are really crazy. I'll keep trying. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't want to seem insensitive, but the final price was in my opinion a very good buy for the gun you described.

This auction gun collecting thing can be a mixed blessing. I have paid more than I should have more than once for a revolver, and then in other cases stole away into the night with a super deal.

Diamondbacks, and Pythons right now are the darlings of the reasonably priced Colt collecting fraternity. You might be better of to concentrate on other less popular models for now.

In any case welcome to the gun bidding wars.

Bob

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at it on Gunbroker. I bid $575 and knew that that wouldn't last long and it didn't. I just looked and the final selling price was $830. There is no way that I would spend that kind of money for one. I really like D'backs, but it looks as if my 4" .38 will be my entire collection! I have been trying to get a decent .22 for some time, but THOSE are really crazy. I'll keep trying. Thanks for all the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been collecting for a couple of years and one thing you will keep hearing from me is "be patient and let the gun come to you". If you have only one gun on your wish list it will take A LOT of patience. If you have many Colts on your wish list (20-50) a gun will come to you.

A year ago I purchased a DB .22LR 4" barrel second year production, mint in the correct box, manual, target and tool from a gun show 3 hours away and walked away with it for $650. This was a $1600 gun.

Six months ago an excellent condition 1957 Python (gun only) with correct stocks for $650. This was a $1200+ gun.

I was most certainly not the first person on these guns. If you find a deal and you’re not quick, if you hesitate, if you don’t buy at that moment the next person will walk away with it. Make your decision and if you decide not to purchase, don't go back because the gun will no longer be there.

I suggest you place more Colts on your wish list or gain a lot of patience. Eventually your nickel DB will come to you at the price your willing to pay.

Furthermore, have current pricing tattooed on your inner forearm. You must determine within 5 seconds if you’re pulling the cash out of your pocket. Referencing the firearms pricing book sends signals and the pricing book is “old” prices.

AZ is a state with a lot of collectable guns. I’ve purchased several from AZ. Good luck and keep us up to date on your quest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really didn't want to hold on to this piece, I just thought it was a chance to make some money. The .22 is the real goal w/ me. I'll take blue or nickel, so I know I will have a bettter chance at getting one. I was in a pawn shop today and they have a beautiful nickel .22 w/ a 6" bbl. He wants $1600 for it. I told him "hellllllll no!!!!" The search continues. Thanks for all the input, guys.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I really didn't want to hold on to this piece, I just thought it was a chance to make some money. The .22 is the real goal w/ me. I'll take blue or nickel, so I know I will have a bettter chance at getting one. I was in a pawn shop today and they have a beautiful nickel .22 w/ a 6" bbl. He wants $1600 for it. I told him "hellllllll no!!!!" The search continues. Thanks for all the input, guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that your motive is to buy and sell and you have an end result in mind. Rethink your path to your destiny. Buy, then sell what everyone else wants. It’s not about what you're seeking but what others are seeking.

As far as my purchased DB and Python. Both were sold within weeks/days for a profit of $1400 and that cash is going with me to the big Tulsa gun show in October. Seldom is there a great buy but sometimes there’s something on my wish list. Last spring I brought home my minty .22LR 4” barreled Trooper. My hands sweat when I hold this unusual variation and in the newest condition that I’ve ever seen. Your end result will be what makes your hands sweat.

Believe me when I say that someday (and probably sooner than you think) that your treasure will fall into your hands. For me, the hunt is the excitement. The find is only the result of the hunt. Someday you’ll bag that Boone and Crockett of Colt revolvers.

Good luck in your quest.

PM me anytime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts