Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If looking for a 2 1/2 inch barrel 38 cal Diamondback, should an original have walnut service grips or target grips? Did the snub nose come from the factory with targets?

I assume they were test fired at the factory. Would you expect to see a faint ring on the cylinder from factory?
Any particular weaknesses associated with Diamondbacks one should check for upon inspection?

What should I expect to pay for a LNIB example?

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
It should have service stocks. Only the 4 and 6 inch should have target.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks skilled.

I've look around on the internet and prices seem to be all over the place. I see very few of the 2 1/2 inch barrel Diamondbacks here in the southeast. I did see one this weekend at a show near Nashville. Gun appeared to be 95 - 98% without a box and the asking price was $1300. I was a little sticker shocked at first. I don't know if that's was a decent or average or wishful thinking price. I would of course prefer LNIB, but would that typically be a $1500, $2000, or? I see quite few Pythons around in this price range, but are Diamondbacks selling this range?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I paid $900 recently for a 2 1/2 inch barrel .38 Diamondback. Condition was probably around 95% with the original service grips.

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
Geez...I wish I'd kept my 2-1/2 Diamondback I bought back in the mid-70's. It had service grips and was a nice looking handgun, but it would NOT consistently set off .38 Special +P ammunition. I guess the primers were harder than those on standard loads like the 158 gr. RNL and 148 gr. HBWC. It would shoot them all day, but put in .38 +P and clickity-click! I even took it to a gunsmith and had the mainspring replaced, when the smith handed the gun back to me I asked him if he'd test fired it, he said yes, so I asked what load he shot and he said 158 gr. RNL. I asked him to go back and shoot some +P JHP loads and see what happened...he came back and said yeah...weird...it would set them off in SA mode, but DA was unreliable. I got rid of it. Anybody else ever have this problem with a Diamondback?

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
There are more reasons then a bad mainspring that can cause mis-fires in revolvers.
It could have been any one or any combination of these that caused this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts