Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, finally got a chance to shoot the colt diamondback 38 that i bought from a member here on this forum, 1st few shoots at 15 yards was about 6 inches high so i adjusted the sitesbut it still kept shooting way high so i adjust the elevation screw all the way too its lowest point, now the gun is shooting about 5 inches low, ok easy enough i think, so i start gradually adjusting again to bring poa to where i want it, it was still shooting about 2 inches low when i made 1 more click on the site, at the shot it hit about 6 inches high again so i shoot another almost same hole, now im gettin pissed, what i found is there is no in between on the elevation screw i can crang it to its lowest point and it shoots shot after shot too same spot but all low , if i adjust the site up i can only adjust it till its about 2 inches low 1 more click and it seems the site springs clear too top limit, after getting home and taking the rear site off and the site apart, i found that with just using the screw and no other parts of the site that after about 2 threads the screw just pops out of the hole in the frame, the screw doesnt looked stripped and the hole in the frame looks normal but there is definatly something goin on too let the screw come out the way it does, should i try to find the thread size and run a tap into the hole in the frame? or should i try a different screw 1st? or does anyone have a different idea as to what to try? ive thought about teflon tape or maybe even lock tite any help would be appreciated

thanks guess thats why i bought a diamondback for $300 wish id been informed ahead of time after messin with the site more if i bottom it to lowest position i get 4 clicks of elevation on the 5th click it goes completely too the highest position

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
A common problem with the Colt Accro rear sight, is a broken elevation screw "skirt".

The elevation screw has a "skirt" that interlocks with the cross pin that holds it in place.
If the sight is hit or gets dropped, part of the skirt can break off, which can produce the problem your having.

Replacement is very possible BUT....... it can be an absolute PITA.
The problem is, the sight screw has a crosswise hole in it.
Inside the hole is a TINY spring and two of the tiniest ball bearings you'll ever see.

These jump out and get lost very easily, and even when you know how they go together, it can be a real nail-biter to reassemble it without loosing the balls or the spring.

Here's a fair exploded view of a Colt Python with the same Accro rear sight as your Diamondback:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schemat...p;model=Python+

The parts are numbers 24, 25, and 26.
24 are the TINY balls, 25 is the TINY spring, and 26 is the sight elevation screw.

Here's how to change it out.

To remove the sight from the frame, unscrew the elevation screw until it disengages from the frame hole.
Use a small punch to push out the sight's cross pin.

With it off, check the threads in the frame for stripping or damage.

Put the sight inside a clear plastic bag, and do everything in the bag so escaping parts will get caught and not lost.

On the side of the sight leaf is a cross pin that's a loose fit.
Push it out with a punch, then push the elevation screw out of the base.
WATCH OUT, the tiny balls will jump out.

Clean the parts with a solvent like lacquer thinner, dry, then apply a good lube like CLP Breakfree.

Coat the tiny spring and the balls with a grease. This makes them stay put better.
Insert the spring in the screw than use grease to "glue" the tiny balls in the hole as well as possible.

Insert the screw in the base, and tip it as it goes in to put one ball down in it's groove in the sight base, then use a small screwdriver to press the other ball in the hole as you push the screw down into position.
HOLD YOUR FINGER OVER THE TOP OF THE SCREW, to prevent it from jumping out, then insert the small cross pin.

BE CAREFUL, the pin is a loose fit and can fall out, releasing the screw.
Put the sight back on the frame and start the elevation screw back into it's hole a few threads.

Then, reinsert the sight leaf cross pin through the frame and sight.

The good news is, the sight screw is readily available and not expensive, and Colt used the same Accro sight on all pistols and revolvers with adjustable sights as standard equipment.
So, you don't have to have parts that are listed as Diamondback parts, ANY Accro sight parts will be correct.

New parts are available from Brownell's, (shown above), and Gun Parts Corporation.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zDIAMONDBACK

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dfaris when i had the site apart i seen the skirt on the screw and it didnt look bad, but ill take your word for it and try to find another screw, and your right them little balls and spring are a pain in the butt, i got everything back together , soon as i can find another screw ill try to replace it and ill let you know if it worked, thanks abunch

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
Re-read the above.
I edited it, and added to it after you posted again.

Other things to look for:
A bent/broken frame pin that holds the sight on the gun.
Stripped frame hole. (not very common).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all the pins are ok, im worried that the frame hole will be stripped, the screw acts like its goin too far in the hole before it starts too engage the threads, when the screw is tightened down you can feel the threads and the tention but when your 1st starting the screw it seems too just fall in the hole

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well after further inspection by a machinist weve come to the conclusion that the hole in the frame is stripped, havnt decided how to repair it, but i was told spray weld and then drill and tap would be best, any other suggestions?
thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Plug the hole, then re-drill and tap the plug to the size of the sight screw.
Waaay better than welding it.
You could use an allen head set screw maybe? Drill your frame to that size, stake it in place or loc-tite, machine it flat with the frame. Then drill and tap that to accept the sight screw. I'd think the repair would disappear with a little cold blue?
HTH....Just an option!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
Colt revolvers are simply too valuable to screw with these days.

Before doing ANYTHING, I'd see what Colt has to say.
You can bet they've seen this many times before and have developed a means of repairing the frame.

I'm sure they have a "fix", which could be tapping to a larger size and installing a special over-sized elevation screw, to installing a Heli-coil, to ??????

I'd strongly suggest talking to them before risking a high-dollar gun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dfaris? would you happen to know how i go about talking to someone at colt? like maybe a number to reach them?

thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
http://www.coltsmfg.com/

COLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY LLC
Customer Service Department
P.O. Box 1868
Hartford, CT
06144-1868 U.S.A.

Tel: 1-800-962-COLT

In all probability, they'll tell you to send it in for them to look at.
They'll send you a letter stating what it needs and an estimate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok talked to colt about this they say it can be fxed, 54 dollars and $30 dollars return shipping, they never said how theyll fix it, before i send it too them im thinking about trying some loc-tite thread repair, has anyone ever tried this stuff?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
Fair warning:
Since the screw IS the elevation screw, using Loctite will eliminate your sight's ability to be adjusted.
Loctite thread repair is for screws that DO NOT have to be turned.
This is NOT an appropriate repair, and is unlikely to last for more than a few shots.

These Colt DA revolvers are simply too valuable these days to "jack leg" them.
It's like owning a Ferrari with a bad spark plug, so you jam in a used one from a 1974 Chevy.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Snakecharmer, be wise, send it to Colt!
It's 84 dollars invested in a gun that will bring a smile on your face time and time again at the range!
What's 84 dollars nowadays? A 1000 rounds? (Wild quess, I'm not to familiar with ammo prices in the US)

Colt has the experteese to fix your DB, it's the best way to go!

I myself fear the day one of my guns evolves a failure of this kind! I would have to go through a lot of paperwork to get a gun to Hartford if I was in need of a repair!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts