Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diamondback SN\'s

I need help on the Diamondback serial numbers.Does someone have a reference that they could email me.I only need first letter prefix of serial number as to date of manafacture.I have seen RXXXXX,SXXXXX and I think PXXXXX.I just need an idea of dates.Also does anyone have any idea what years the nickel guns in 22lr and 38 were made.Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: Diamondback SN\'s

Just go to www.proofhouse.com and pick the Colt Diamondback from the listing of guns, and you will get a full listing of Colt Diamondback serial numbers through 1978! Beyond that, you will need to call Colt directly(For serial numbers above 1978)!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

I've passed this along before, but it is a little method I use when I'm parading the aisles at gunshows to remember approx. dates of DBs when I don't have the book with me.
The word is DiNNeRS, as in food, (which I always seem to remember). These are the first four letters of the older DBs.

D starting in 1966
N starting in 1976
R starting in 1977
S starting in 1979 and S continued through 1981. HTH

These are followed in order by P 1981, AA 1984 and then they stopped in 1986. I've seen very few Ps and almost no AAs, so it is a pretty simple tool that works for me.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Bighornhunter: If you are "into" Colts, I might suggest that you pick up a copy of the book,"Colt An American Legend" (R.L. Wilson). It is almost always offered on ebay for sale at modest final prices. I have even seen it at Walmart in the last year. This book lists all Colt serial numbers through 1986. After 1986, checking serial numbers requires a call to Colt or a factory letter.

Colt made limited numbers of Nickel 4"-38spl DB's throughout much of the model's production run.

The 22's Nickel revolvers are almost always "P" prefixed serial numbers (that I have seen) with a few exceptions. A normal production "D-prefixed" Nickel 2.5" 22 DB sold at GunBroker auction for the modest sum of about $4000 in about 98% condition. That was just the gun; no box, and no papers.

Diamonback68 gave you pretty much the lowdown on all the Diamondback serial number prefixes. I have never seen an "AA" prefixed DB. There is no "first letter" prefix that gives you a year of production on DB's. For example, the "D-prefixes" ran from the time Colt introduced the model in 1966 to 1976. That is when the N-prefix numbers were started.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

22-rimfire gave you some good input.
I have one of the few older exceptions he mentioned in a 6" nickel 22LR that dates to 1978. Quite a few others were "bank specials" that came later with the P prefix.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Hi diamonback68 and 22-rimfire, I'm still wondering if you guys have any production info on the AA serial number 6" nickel Diamondback I have that I showed NIB on another post ? 22-rimfire, you said you have never seen an AA DB, is that because they are very rare or what ? Is there anywhere I can find more info on this gun ? Thanks as always guys, you are the greatest !!! shoodaddy

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Randy, you are asking the almost impossible question.
They made a few more Diamondbacks in 6" nickel 22LR in 1985.
Serialization ran like this.....in 1984 AA01001 to AA01562, then in 1985 AA01053 to AA02432, but the numbers were shared with the Police Positive Special, the Det. Spec., the Cobra and the Agent all mixed together. There is no way of knowing how many were in Diamondbacks. After 1985 all published serialization of any Colt ceased.

It doesn't matter though, the fact that yours is a AA serial number doesn't make it a penny more valuable than any of the other Diamondbacks ever produced. The total production guesstimation still stands and that is what makes them more sought after than other DBs.
I hope this eases your mind.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Thanks Dick, that does ease my mind. I am rather new to guns and like a sponge I'm trying to soak up everything I can. Learning from guys in the know is extremely helpful and everyone here seems very willing to help. I initially was very interested in semi-autos but am finding revolvers, especially Colts and S&W's, very interesting. I was really impressed by the feel of the nickel 8" Python we just sold and I think the Diamondbacks are sweet. I personally own a H&K USP .40 full-size and a Ruger target .22 but am thinking long and hard about keeping a revolver also.
Anyway, sorry if I seem over anxious or if I'm being a pain in the ass. I just like to know what I'm talking about if someone should ask me a question about one of the guns I'm selling. You and the other guys taking your time to answer my newbie questions is greatly appreciated, I can't thank you enough. Have a great weekend, Randy

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

I couldn't help noticing that Dick was willing and able to give the impossible answer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Glad I could help and Randy, never stop asking questions. Almost everyone on this board are more than willing to help, it's how we all learn. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Nobody knows production figures for the late 1985 or 1986 guns with the AA prefix. At the time of my post, I had not seen an AA prefix DB. I'm learning too and your speciman adds to my knowledge base. Catalogs and other information is great, but nothing beats an actual gun to add real information. At the time, I would have guessed that the 1985 guns were unsold older guns from inventory; not the case and your gun proves that. I appreciate your post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts