Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much has been written here on the timeing of the cyclinder bolt on Colt revolvers ,My 1976 Diamondback seems to time well as far as the bolt in concerned, however, the timeing of the hand seems to be off. The bolt drops out of the notch with no delay and drops back about mid way of the bolt notch lead in. Trouble is the Cyc. won't fully lock up in full rotation, and the bolt won't drop into the notch until the hammer starts to fall. I assume this is a problem of a worn hand and/or ratchet. any ideas. comments, suggestions? Thanks, Brad

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
the hand shortens with use, the hand can be stretched back to proper length. you will need kuhnhausens book "the colt revolver a shop manual vol. 1" it`s a pretty simple job given a few tools and "the book".

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts
Re: Diamondback timing, once again...

The situation where the hammer reaches full cock, but the cylinder is not yet locked, is THE classic Colt "out-of-time" condition.

Usually, it's a problem with the hand, and this can "usually" be corrected by a good Colt pistolsmith, without undue effort.

The problem is, first the "fix" requires really knowing EXACTLY what you're doing, and there are any number of conditions and "watch-outs" to be observed.

In "most" cases, the fix requires no new parts, AS LONG as no one has corrected a hand problem before.

I'd suggest sending the gun in to Colt or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters for repair.

AS LONG as you fire the gun normally, it's safe to shoot it.
Where it gets "iffy" is if the wear is sufficient, or you fail to pull the trigger properly and the cylinder fails to lock up fully when the trigger is pulled.

Then you get into a situation where the gun is firing in and unlocked condition, you're getting off-center primer hits, and probable spitting of lead due to the chamber not being aligned with the barrel.

I recommend getting it repaired now, instead of later.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you Gentlemen for confirming so quickly what I suspected was the problem. I didn't realize the fix was as easy as you suggest .I planned to return it to Colt for an overhaul. Will be on the lookout for the kuhn... book at this weekends gun show. Thanks, Brad

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts

With the "watch-out" that the hand MAY not be the problem, and that occasionally a hand will shatter when you try to stretch it.

Read the book VERY closely, and attempt a repair only if you're 100% SURE of what the problem is, and of your skills in pistolsmithing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Actually plan to send it to Colt, just want the book for reference and info. Thanks again, Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts