Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for another .38sp at the local gun dealers and found a Diamondback. This gun had a very light & short trigger pull. Do all Diamondbacks have such excellent triggers or do you think it had a trigger job done?

------------------
Mike

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Without feeling it, there's really no way to tell.
Trigger jobs on expensive guns like the Diamondback are fairly common. The kind of people who would afford an expensive gun like that, generally would want the best trigger action possible.

The best I can do, is recommend trying to find another Diamondback to compare it to.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
The Diamondback wasn't quite as high end as the Python, but it was above most other Colt guns of the time.
It had a barrel made on Python machinery, but I don't think it had the tapered bore of the Python.

The action was not tuned to the same level as the Python, but can be tuned to a level better than a factory Python action. Of course, a custom tuned Python will be even better.

In short, the Diamondback is about a small step down from the Python, and a good step above most other guns of the day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4" nickel plated diamondback in 38 special. This is my 3rd diamondback, they are great revolvers. I rate them as a high end revolver, basically same as the python only in a smaller frame size. They also made these in .22 caliber versions. The frame size is what I like about them, python "feel" without the weight and bulk.

And yes, all diamonbacks I have seen have had great triggers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Python and Trooper are fairly common items at the gun stores near my home. Every Python I have ever looked over or shot had fabulous triggers. A high end gun. Every Trooper I have checked out had heavy pulls.A mid level gun. This is the first Diamondback I have ever seen up close so I don't have a point of reference. I was initially looking for a very good to excellent Police Positive 1960-1970s era. The Python is out of my budget for now but this Diamondback is priced between two. Was the Diamondback a high end firearm like the Python?

------------------
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts