Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after my Dick Special 50 yard snubnose experience I definitely want another Colt 38.

I spied a Diamondback, cosmetically in very nice shape in Colt's to die for blue. Haven't handled it. The shop wants $499 for it. It's a consignment gun so I have to accept that it is AT LEAST 20% overpriced. I just wanted to know if the gun is not too overpriced (yean, yeah I know, value is up to me, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway). Can I expect this gun to be as accurate as my little DS? I use my DS for matches and we really upset a few 1911 folks.

While I am asking for info, is there a website that I can reference if I wanted to learn more about Colt's DA revos? Most of them look the same to me and I am sure there are subtle visual clues that will tell me what I am looking at.

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
NRA Life Mbr

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Value depends on barrel length, whether the screws are dinked up (indicating somebodies been inside it), and presence of original grips or original box.

The Colt Detective Special has a well-earned reputation for accuracy, but a Diamondback will put it to shame.

$500.00 is high, but the prices are going up constantly. A few years ago people were asking if $300.00 was TOO over priced for a Diamondback.

As far as I know, there's no web site with good Colt pictures, EXCEPT the on-line auction sites and GunsAmerica.

Browsing those sites will show quite a variety of Colt's.

However, the best source of info and pictures is R.L. Wilson's book "Colt, An American Heritage".
Colt considers this to be the "official" history of Colt firearms.

Price isn't too bad, AND it has complete production and serial number info from 1836 to 1985.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 11-15-2003).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have not seen a decent Diamondback for less than $500 in the past two years. In fact, I rarely see Diamondbacks for sale!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gun is a 4" 38 Spl. I handled it today when I picked up my Woodsman (report on that in the semiautos section). It is very, very nice and the action is smooth. There is barely a drag line on the cylinder. I had to hand it back before my wallet jumped out. The guy in the shop said he has a 6in 22 LR and that his can shoot. I'll sleep on it for a few more nights to see if I can get over it

------------------
NRA Life Mbr

·
Registered
535 Posts
My friend, if I was standing next to you at the counter, your decision would be moot and that $500 Diamondback as you described would be goin' home with me! The Colt catalogue used to describe the D as a, "scaled down version of the Python," and I think that's pretty accurate - like the gun! (Ho, ho, ho!) The lockwork is like the DS and PP and only the barrel is ala Python, however. The grips'll fit a DS and vice versa. I suppose S&W's #15 would be the direct competitor with the usual, to my mind anyway, trade off; the Colt'll beat the Smith for bullseyes in SA but the 2X is rather long, stacky and odd feeling. If I had the money, I'd get one and lay it in my trophy box along side a Python and just enjoy my good fortune. (The P in 6" and the D in 4". Pretty picture, no?) Our own dfarriswheel has mentioned the D being a pet gun of the LAPD in their .38 days. I know I've been beaten soundly on the range by one! (It WAS the gun ... when I shot it, I could beat its owner!)I'm probably all wet, but from having owned a bunch of Colts over the years, I think the lockup and, "toughness ?," quality is better with the PP and D than the P and OP. They seem to stay in time better - stronger showing over years of use. But, that could just be my circumstances as I rarely buy brand new guns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting, My dealer brought in a diamondback from his personal collection for me, I put it on the side because I was waiting for him to bring in a python as well and I wanted to decide between the 2. The diamondback is heavily worn from holster time and the barrel looks like it might have been dropped on the tip once so I wasn't jumping at the gun for $350. His assistant spotted it yesterday when I was in the store and the dealer was in Reno for the show and was telling me to jump on it, I guess now I will have to rethink it and possibly buy it after all.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Trust me, as a collector of said guns, that is one H*** of a good price. Saw several at a show today in the $700-900 range and the price just keeps going up. Saw a 6" 22LR in blue, no box or nuttin, $800.
You didn't mention, but I assume it was a 38SPL, but you also didn't say what barrel length, this can also affect price and desirablity.

Hope you get it, they are exceptionally accurate guns.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
SnWnMe, 4" 38SPL are probably the most encounter Diamondbacks, but still range in the $600-700 depending on condition and geographical location. I'D BUY! You can always (with this gun) get your money back with a profit.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, well hey, I'm not really after the value of the gun as a collector's item. I am sure that I am not rich enough to buy collectible guns whose resale value will actually make me richer. Having said that, this gun will be shot and enjoyed if I decide to buy it. I guess that makes me a shooting collector or a shooter with eclectic tastes. Hmmm... Guys I just bought two guns no more than two weeks ago! Ah, heck. Ignorance was bliss. Now that you folks have educated me on this revo, I'm wanting it more and more by the minute. I suppose I can put it on layaway and the S.O. will be none wiser.

(A spark!)

------------------
NRA Life Mbr

[This message has been edited by SnWnMe (edited 11-17-2003).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts