Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It makes me sick, or they're sick, I don't know which.
I was at a gunshow in Lakeland this weekend and they get dealers from all over the Southeast ( big show-600 tables). A guy had a 2 1/2" blue 22LR Diamondback in mint condition with no box, no papers, nadda!
The guys asking price was $1300! Claims to have several people interested in the piece at that price. Is he crazy or am I? Has the world gone insane or am I missing something? I hope the guy still has it when he reaches "Last Will and Testament" time.
Has anyone else seen this kind of insanity in Colt prices, particularly the Diamondback?
Rant off.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
111 Posts
DIck,

Yes, unfortunately I saw Diamondback insanity at a small gunshow this winter. A guy was walking around with a duffle bag with the prices posted on the outside, all Diamondbacks and all over $750 (none of them were 6" nickel 22's either, I checked). He stopped to talk with a dealer I've done business with (a very fair no bull guy with a lot of quality Colts & Smiths) and I overheard the dealer commenting "you think a box is worth $300 bucks, you're nuts". This dealer had a very nice 4" blue 38 DB for $425, I think it really irked him that someone was trying to sell DB's at what he clearly considered inflated prices. I don't know if the guy was successful in selling anything or not.

Rant all you need to, I used to be hooked on DB's, now I'm hooked on OM's!

Scott

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I had one poor mis-informed soul tell me his 4" blued Diamondback in .22lr was one of the first models made in the 1950's. It had no box or papers, wore some Pachmyer rubbers (and didn't bother to get ones off a newer Colt with the Colt emblem), and was an honest 90% gun. That was his reasoning for the $1000 price tag he had hung on it. I just chuckled and walked off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hope to be in the market for a .22 cal revolver in the next 6 to 9 months and would really like to buy a diamondback, however with the prices I am seeing on the auction sites, GunsAmerica, and at some of the local dealers and shows, there is no way I can justify that much cash for one. If I had the cash at this very moment I would either purchase a S&W model 18/17 or a used python, which I would then use primarily with .38 wadcutters, since I can load them for darn near the cost of good .22 ammo. One thing that I have learned in this lifetime is that things are worth only what someone will pay for them. If the Diamondback sellers want to hold out for the outrageous prices they are asking then I'll let them keep holding out. I'm not desperate enough to pay the prices I've seen lately.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What do you expect,about prices? With Colt,"out of the revolver business",in many peoples minds,these jokers think its time to "cash in"! But, in all fairness to them,just look at the posts on this forums; Pythons & Diamondbacks! There is a lot of misinformation about the "snakes",and I loved the story about the "1950s Diamondback!" Ive owned ONE Diamondback, a 4" .22 that I bought used around 1992 for $325,no box(take a look at what boxes are going for on xBxy!!!) and it couldnt compare with my fixed sighted 4" & 6" O. Polices,let alone my 1931 Officers Model .22 and pre war K-22 S&W. It could outshoot,my .22 MK III Trooper! If it wasnt for my 1971 vintage .22 Cobra 3" being a "super shooter",Id be totally against post-1960 Colts.I got a feeling,the "speculators" and "investors" are driving up the 2 "snakes" prices,and many are gonna hibernate in the safe deposit boxes and vaults of these guys(like 2nd & 3rd Gen. SAAs.Keep on a lookin,good luck,dont let the prices get ya down-and have some great laughs(like you did on the 1950s Diamondback!) Bud

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, so it's not just me that thinks these guys are crazy. I just love the "1950's Diamondback story". But sooner or later, there has got to be an end to the insanity.

I didn't start my Diamondback collection because I thought the prices would go sky high and I would get rich selling them. I don't need to get rich and I don't need the money and besides I will probably die before any of them ever realize a profit. I did it because I just simply love the gun and picked that particular one to collect, just like people collect certain stamps or coins.
What irks me is the seeming rank amateurs ("experts") that unknowingly keep putting outrageous prices on a particular gun (a Colt, because they don't make them anymore) and drive out the little guy who wants a certain gun or wants to start a modest, small collection.
I simply refuse to play their game and I will finish my collection, but I will probably have to rely on finding them from someone who has not bought into their insanity.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
One day I was sitting around with some of my friends chewing the fat over guns and one (who really didn't understand much of what we were saying) stated he saw a 6" SS .22lr Diamondback on one of the auction sites for $1200. I told him it was nickel and not SS which seemed to annoy him. He then announced he was buying the next one he saw and would make a mint re-selling it. I told him if he wanted a pristine model (which most I've seen really are) he better have at least $1000.00 in his pocket. Well that set him over the edge and he became irate. He argued at how he had seen K-22s for under $300 and of my DW M22 for $200. Surely he would find a Diamondback for no more than $350. We tried to tell him that they were only built one year and even then only 2000 were ever made, but he insisted on showing us. Well this was last year and to rub it in on him every now and then I ask him how much he's made off selling Diamondbacks. He now just hangs his head as he has realized that he won't find no Diamondback for his price.
Colt's, you gotta love em, but it's getting so you need a bank to own more than a few really nice models.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 04-20-2004).]

·
Registered
991 Posts
Man this is so debatable. If I can find a 100% DB or Python from late 50's early 60's, I will pay up to $1000.00. But your starting to get into collector preferences and what one is willing to sacrifice for perfection. They are out there, and I have learned that patience is a virtue. I saw a most beautiful, perfect 100% 1978 Python and the guy was asking $1700.00. Now that is ludicrous! I purchase a 1963 4" Python for $900.00 and it is 99%++. Will be picking it up from my FFL dealer in a few days. I am a real happy camper with this one!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
manderson
Congrats on your find!
$900 for one in that condition and that year is certainly not out of line, but $1700, I agree, is totally ludicrous. That's exactly what I'm talking about, is there no "top end" to these escalating prices? I don't know.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oh, well ... it's only money! If any of us bought a gun that they'd really been wanting, I'll bet after a few weeks you'll forget how much it cost but you'll still be glad to have it! I think the D-back is in a unique niche; not a magnum, no longer in production and not likely to ever be again and it IS a wonderful, small, super accurate revolver. What the .38 did for the last 100 years it can still do today! I think the D and the S&W #15 are both in the same boat, but the D is classy-er!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Dont collect Diamondbacks,or enjoy them that much,but that said,saw a couple at the Biddeford,Maine Gun Show today. A dealer,from ,New York,I think,had a 2 1/2" .38 Special,in probably 96% shape.no box etc. for $650. He had a 4" .22 in maybe "low 90s %" for $600. This gent is NOT a cut rate dealer,as he had an RCMP marked N.Service,marked about $500 TOO HIGH!(N.S. & O.P.s are my "specialty". Was talking to him about whats been discussed here on the "overpricing" of Diamondbacks. He feels,that some "newbie collectors" are under the impression that the Diamondback is a "baby Python",all hand fitted,polished & blued the old style-and some dealers will take advantage of this ignorance. I dunno,kinda interesting slant on the higher prices. The 2 1/2" D.B. feels approximately the same weight as my 1954 vintage 2" O.Police. While I like the D.B.s adjust. sights,that D.B.cant compare to the smoothness of the 50 year old O.P. as well at its fit & finish.Both his D.B. & my O.P. were ex-Police Chiefs guns,in small towns,and not marked,and show little signs of use or carry wear.Now,if i can just get "my"O.P.back from my wife,as it has become her "shoulder bag gun of choice"! Bud

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lonewolf I like your very interesting comments. Though it is probably true that a "newbie" would think that a DB is 38SPL/22LR scaled down version of the Python, the more than few Diamondback collectors I have met definately know that is not true and know the difference. The problem, as I see it, is that DBs have been out of production almost twenty years now and were only made for twenty years and most of the decent examples have already found their way into someones collection. More people getting "into" guns, less supply (over the years due to attrition), higher demand and thus higher prices. Pythons are still being made, albiet in limited quantitys, and that covers an almost fifty year life span now (1955-present). That pretty much accounts for why some DBs are higher (can't get them anymore) in price than some Pythons (still in production).

That doesn't mean I like the situation. If the same escalation happened to all makes and models of guns, only the guys with super deep pockets would be able to complete ANY collection. In the mean time I will continue to "mine" for the DB "nuggets" that may still be out there.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT I'LL KEEP ONE .357,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is something special about Diamondbacks, I think it is styling, fit & finish. It does closely resemble a Python, and I think Colt definately had that in mind when they made them. In my opinion, the Python has nothing over the Diamondback, other than a more powerful caliber. The Diamondbacks appeal to me more.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Well, let's clarify this for some of us less experienced. I have always known that the Python is special because they were all custom hand made. I have never understood why some describe a Python as "Custom Shop Tuned" when, from my understanding, all Pythons came from the custom shop. I know that some were modified with Elliason sights, but other than that, I don't know why a Python would be sent back for additional work unless it was just for a "tune-up" after lots of use.

I have gotten away from my main point.

Although I have always been aware that the Diamondback was not a baby Python, I don't know much about the manufacturing process that would distinguish it as completely different. So maybe our esteemed experts wouldn't mind clearing this up for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel fortunate, I started my Diamondback collection with a 6" 22 that I purchased for $439 back in oct.'97, It was was not new, but looked like it was. Then, I managed to get new 4" versions of both the .22 and the .38, for $550 and $600 each from a dealer friend of mine. now, I see them for $900+ for like new condition, and another shop has 1 4" .38 for $500 that is in really rough conditon. I think they are probably the most soft after Colts. Although, I'd like to find a nice blued Detective special....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point manderson, I will defer the explanation of the "manufacturing process" to dfariswheel.

I agree with you Ron H Diamondbacks have more appeal to me too. I still don't own a Python.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT I'LL KEEP ONE .357,
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 05-02-2004).]

·
Registered
178 Posts
In 1978 I bought two Diamondbacks, a 22 and a 38. Brand new blue 4 inchers. I was sorely disappointed to find that every time I cocked the hammer single action, the tip of the hammer would gouge the top of the grips. It soured me on Diamondbacks and I traded the brace off. I seem to remember some gun writer in a magazine covering how to shorten the hammer spur to make it stop contacting the grips. Did Colt correct this problem or do you Diamondback collectors still find models with the gouged grips?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just checked several, some made in 1978 and some before and after and I see NO evidence of stock gouging. Almost all of them have close to 1/8" clearance. I did see this one time on a pair of replacement Pachys, made for the "D" frame, that someone had to whittle a little of the rubber off to fit. I replaced them with originals. Could it be that either they had the wrong stocks installed or that the hammer could have been bent slightly? I don't know but I have never heard of this problem before and wouldn't you think Colt would have caught that before they shipped any that way? Seems like it would almost prevent cocking in single action with that problem. Don't sound right.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. Was just browsing through the threads and found this one. I bought a 6 inch blue 22 caliber Diamondback back in the late 70's to go with the Python I had just gotten.

Got to say the Diamondback is very accurate. Still use them both regularly. I could never afford to buy them today.
rmc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts