Colt Forum banner

Diamondbacks vs Pythons

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  fat tom 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed that NIB Diamondbacks are starting to cost more than NIB Pythons.What is up with that?

#3 ·
There is also "The Python Mystique", alibi a smaller version about the D'back.

While NOT the most accurate analogy or comparison,I've seen a similar trend with NON COMMEMORATIVE "Frontier Scouts" and its offspring. I can recall 2 decades ago,rarely did you see a used Scout series(again NON COMMEM.)go for more than $125,even NIB. Then as SAA prices were driven to the atmosphere by "rumors" of its demise,the "speculators" buying em' up and shovin' em' in safes,and the relatively poor fit/finish of the late 3rd Gens.,buyers wanting a genuine COLT,began eyeing the little Scouts-and found out that NOT that many "regular models" were made-and many of these were shot/used in the field-so up went the prices.

Sadly,some collectors,wanting "big bore Colts,and not able/willing to pay SAA prices, "found" the New Service,driving up the prices of a gun I had discovered the joys of shooting and reloading for in the early 80's.But I had bought many of those I own today before the sharp rise of N.S. prices.

As an aside,the little Scout,never did a thing for me,and I have owned 3 of the variations,just too small for my hand. Not as bad as the Ruger Bearcat though! A very older lovely lady(Onomea-you out there??)that I lived with for 3/4 of a year about 35 years ago(thought she could afford to help me get my Ph.D,but I ended up helping to support her-worth it!)-bought a Ruger Bearcat for "her and I" as a plinker and house gun-depite her having numerous skeet guns. Ruger too small for her hands too!

As Robba said,fewer D'Backs built than Pythons,and they are NOT common,at least here in N. New England-and there are some very RARE variations,that make em' attractive to collectors. Saw one in N.H. 4" blue .38,probably 98% for $350,about 6 mos. ago. Probably should have grabbed it,but too many .38 revolvers already and I didn't especially like the .22 D'back 4" I once owned,as far as accuracy and "feel".

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
.... A very older lovely lady(Onomea-you out there??)that I lived with for 3/4 of a year about 35 years ago ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am, indeed, out here, Bud, but just wanted to note for the record and our fellow forum posters that the very older lovely lady ain't me!!! Madame Butterfly, was she? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And shooter, too? Great combo! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#5 ·
I started collecting a little over two years ago, about the time I joined this forum. I should have listened to Diamondback68 back then. I only have three Diamondbacks now (my third thanks to BBBS). Wish I had taken advantage of the "reasonable" prices two years ago.

#6 ·
We bought Diamondbacks, stopping several months ago, and accumulating about ten. A couple of the nickel ones made me wince at their prices, close to Pythons. Most of ours have boxes, which helps their value somewhat. Also the pre-styrofoam box models are more attractive to me in the box.

The 22's are particularly sought after. About the only regular variation we don't have is the 2-1/2" 22" which I believe at $2,000.00 plus is not worth the investment unless you want to sit on it for some time.

From a practical point of view, Diamondbacks have always come over to me as appearing somewhat fragile. I don't know why. All of ours are over 98%, and probably will not be shot. We have enough of the "old girl", Officers Models to shoot, that I can't see beating up the DB's.

In my opinion they do rival the Pythons in attractiveness, and beauty. Neat lil things!

Any 98% ones you see under $650.00 in my opinion are now a bargain.

Bob

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I started collecting a little over two years ago, about the time I joined this forum. I should have listened to Diamondback68 back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back about nine years ago, you could buy DBs for about $300-350 even 2 1/2"ers. Pythons were plentiful and still made up until recently, but Diamondbacks haven't been made for over 20 years now and a lot fewer of them. I saw the demand coming and stockpiled before the prices got to were they are today. Best choice I ever made.

#8 ·
Anyone have any Python production figures other than subtracting the serial number ranges? I WONDER if there really were more Pythons than Diamondbacks? Both seem to have fairly large production figures.

I never thought about "stockpiling" Diamondbacks. I just like them. For me, prices today are bumping the range that limits adding much more to the collection. I keep my eyes open though. I agree that any 22 Diamondback priced $625 or less in 98% or better condition are buys these days. That tends to be the lower end of the 38 DB scale.

Only the 38's were priced in the $300-$350 range 10 years ago based on my experience. There were always the ocasional bargain then of course, as there are now.

In my case, I'm buying other things these days.

Additional note on pricing: Price is always important. But from an investment perspective in the collector market, it really doesn't matter as long as your crystal ball indicates that prices will continue to rise as they have been on Pythons and Diamondbacks. You are always better off buying collector specimans that are in demand and hence easier to sell. I talk about Trooper Mark III's as being sleepers. Well, the demand has risen on them and pricing has also risen on the 22 variations. You can still buy the 357's in the $350-$400 range which suggests that "interest" is not there yet. Still, buying Troopers are a longer term kind of investment. That is one of the reasons for the Python's stable and rising price market. People perceive them as excellent revolvers, sellable, and of limited availablitiy since Colt has apparently stopped making them. Factory pricing pushed pricing on the used market up before; now, the Python market is driven by other factors.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
From a practical point of view, Diamondbacks have always come over to me as appearing somewhat fragile. I don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comment caught my eye. I used to have an S&W model 19 that I shot very often. Haven't shot any of my Diamondbacks and this got me thinking. Just a smaller frame with more kick, about the same size as the S&W combat. Not trying to get into another S&W/Colt debate, but anyone that shoots a Diamondback, comments would be interesting.

Damn it robba, now I gotta shoot one of my collectors!

#10 ·
I have not shot any of mine, as they are in 98%+ to NIB shape. Shooting them in my opinion would not be wise as they are increasing in value daily.

My comoment was based more on their appearance. To me they just don't appear very robust, and I know the finish would mark very easily.

So I am chicken to risk their investment worth. As I said, we have enough shooters around, including a bunch of older revolvers we have never shot since they were acquired, that have been fired before, like our shooting master.

Bob

#11 ·
Most of mine are shooters in considerably less than 100% condition. They also accompany me to the range where they launch a lot of lead. Nothing hot, mostly midrange wadcutters or equivilent, but I can't concieve of owning such a fine shooter and not SHOOTING it.

#13 ·
Hi Majic, nice to hear from you again.

We also have a NIB 22 cal. Cobra I would never risk shooting.

I guess what I was trying to say is that we have no shooter grade Diamondbacks, and defiling one by shooting it would vastly alter its value.

If you have a D frame revolver that is shooter grade, then have at it. We have none that are in that condition.

To my old buddy Manderson. I have no doubt that our Diamondbacks will shoot OK, and group very well. But why would one want to hurt the value of a collector grade gun by shooting it.

OK everybody. Shoot your collectables. It makes ours more valuable.

I'm kind of kidding, I think!

Bob

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]

We also have a NIB 22 cal. Cobra I would never risk shooting.

I guess what I was trying to say is that we have no shooter grade Diamondbacks, and defiling one by shooting it would vastly alter its value.

But why would one want to hurt the value of a collector grade gun by shooting it.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ] point well taken, there seems to be some belief that one must shoot a gun to enjoy it, thankfully for future collectors this idea seems to fade with age. i dont have any real expensive guns but have several i dont plan on shooting. i get plenty of satisfaction just admiring them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.