Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this gun, ser#9612XX. Wondering when it was made and if it has any collector value. I would like to get it bead blasted, hard chromed. Who does this type of work?
"]www.mississippimudworks.com/RearCylinder.JPG[/img]
[/url]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If that's a Colt hammer shroud (it will have the emblem) then it could have some collectors value. Hard chroming that will kill that value.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That certainly looks like a "prancing pony",or Colt emblem on that shroud,Majic.

As far as +P ammo,the Detective Special,was rated for the even hotter 38/44 loadings that came out around 1930. Its steel frame,larger than the J frame,or Chief's Special,5 shot S&Ws were one of its selling points.

Does this mean a steady diet of +Ps? No,but if the gun is "in time",with no issue of headspace,etc. a few +Ps will not damage it. The "user's" hands and wrists tend to be the limiting factor,as 50 rds. of +P will show you,especially without a grip adapter,or more comfortable stocks.

That D.S. looks like it would have some great stories to tell,if it could,Jim77! Bud

·
Registered
44 Posts
id stay with factory 38 specials.even the colt owners manual says a limited use of +p ammo will acelerate part ware.if you need a +p you probably would be better served stepping up to a 357 mag!
Thats a beautiful example you have there ,shoot it and enjoy it but dont abuse(hardchrome)it.if you want it refinished at least send it to colt!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Jim77! I know - "other people's money," - BUT, if that revolver were mine, I'd either leave it as is and enjoy it's, "if guns could talk," potential or send it to Colt for a reblue. I can't remember seeing a piece more ready for a shadow box with a city detective's badge, six lead-round-nose bullets, a pack of Lucky Strikes and a black jack! And don't forget the Stetson! How about a 1935 map of whatever-city and a bus token? You get the idea ... Nice gun! Really nice.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good to see you back rcwambold! I like your enthusiasm and I like your style. Great imagination on the display idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts