Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen a Blue Python with a polished trigger, however, the seller of this 1965 Python Snub claims he has seen a lot of them. He is asking $2600 with what he claims is the original factory box numbered to the gun. below is the best pictures I can get.

1. Did they ever come with a polished trigger?
2. Is there a chance a 2 piece Brown wood grain box top with solid Gold Colt on the top, with a red insert is original for 1965?
3. Is $2600 the going price these days?

TIA

Attachments

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Unless it was a special order, Colt did not ship revolvers with polished triggers.
If it was a special order, there'd be something about it on the box.

For some reason, people just loved to polish the sides of Colt triggers. It served no purpose, only promotes rusting, and was nothing more than a cosmetic look.
Unfortunately, it usually means someone was inside doing a trigger job. This is immediately suspicious. since a great many people who did trigger work had no idea what they were doing.
If you're buying, check it out VERY carefully, or have it checked internally by a good gunsmith.

Don't know about the box.
The going price for a 2 1/2" Python these days is high to heart attack high.
Whether that one is worth that money depends on how bad you want it, what the actual condition is, is the box original, and has the gun been botched up by a bad trigger job.
Again, the polished trigger should instantly set off alarms. It might be a wonderful job by a master Colt expert or it could have been done by Bill Ten Thumbs with a file.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
If the gun is out of Ok I would really, REALLY do my homework.

it could have been done by Bill Ten Thumbs with a file.
i really shouldn't have had a mouthful of water when I read that. You owe me a keyboard if it doesn't work tomorrow.....

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Nice looking snub.I too would be leary of the polished trigger as d-faris states.Not knowing who polished the trigger and why $2600 is too much.JMO The box looks period correct from what I can see.Without closeups of box it's hard to know if it's original.D*

·
Registered
890 Posts
Going by the pictures supplied, it looks like the whole gun may have been refinished. The edges in the second photo sure look rounded. These early Pythons had very sharp edges. Again...based on the photos provided.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all, I will pass on this one. The experience level of the members of this forum amaze me. I am glad I asked before purchasing this one.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yup, good choice. I also pass on the same gun. I was told it's a 95. This was our convo below;

Me:
Couple concerns, the trigger appears to be nickel or stainless. Pony kind of looks blown out and the grips seem longer then the frame. Is there a letter in the serial? Not trying to low ball you or bash your gun. Without seeing it in person, I have only photos to go off.

Seller:
It was made 1995 the trigger is not nickel or ss the grip fit just like there do on all I have had and ever seen3 pone is just wright it just like the picture make it look.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you dgroff85, this one is a 1965 SN 421XX no prefix. The seller seems to get a lot of these snubs.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Elliot, the seller dgro is referring to kept telling everyone that his was a 65 as well, even though it had a K prefix he refused to acknowledge it's existence.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
For the archives, the box is a reproduction. There are several ways to tell, among them are the horizontal corrugations on the interior of the box (where the Colt logo is printed). With authentic boxes of this style, rarely are corrugations seen and when they are, do not look like this. The top of the box is a poor color facsimile as well and an obvious fake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts