Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any(2-1/2\")Python\'s ever come from Colt, with(Wood)target stocks?

I saw another(2-1/2", "Blued" Python!)the other day, in a Gun Shop, that had Colt(Wood)target stocks on it? Did all of these short-barrel Python's, only come from the Colt factory, with the service stocks(Or, did some come with the(Wood)target stocks?)or, did these have to be added later(As an accessory?)or, possibly, Special Ordered, to enable them to come from Colt, already on the gun? Thanks!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Did any(2-1/2\")Python\'s ever come from Colt, with(Wood)target stocks?

I can't imagine Colt's putting target stocks on a snubbie. It would defeat the purpose of concealability. If the previous owner did much shooting with full power .357's, they probably thought larger stocks were a good idea. Again, it may have been possible to order from the factory with targets, a factory letter might confirm it, but the odds would be 10,000:1.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, Bushwhacker!

I thought that it was unlikely, that Colt would ever installed the wood target stocks, on the 2-1/2" barreled Python's-but, I wanted to be sure? As I saw one in a Gun Shop, in nice condition-but, it had the wood target stocks on it!

If anyone else, somehow comes up with some factual information, indicating that these wood target grips could have been installed by Colt, on these short-barrel Python's, please report it here? Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts

One thing to always keep in mind about Colt....ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is possible.

Colt was famous for having standards on what gun got what grips, and they were just as famous in the post-1950's years for tossing those standards out the window as needed.

It's very possible if not probable that Colt shipped 2 1/2" Python's with target grips.
I've SEEN 2 1/2" Pythons with target grips in the factory box.

Were they factory original? Who knows.
But with Colt's track record, only a fool says "This never happened".

The only way to EVER be SURE is to be the ORIGINAL buyer and opening the box from the wholesaler yourself, OR having a factory letter.

I bet that given Colt's turmoil after the 1970's even they won't always know what grips were on a gun as shipped.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

dfariswheel:

As always, I deeply appreciate your very valuable input!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts