Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

got this new (to me) python a few days ago. a real beauty, wouldn't you say?

i'm past the three day inspection period and tonight i broke out the jewler's loupe and looked closely at the bore. this is subtle stuff that the seller may have missed. i would never have noticed it without the loupe.

look at 1 o'clock and 9 o'clock. very disapointing to me. cannot feel the 1 o'clock at all with the fingertips.

the 9 o'clock is a different story. cannot feel it on the top surface with the fingertip but you can on the side where there is around a 1/64 inch chip of metal missing down the side.

no, this is not the mouth of a cannon. it's a blown up close-up of the bore.

should i leave well enough alone? could a good 'smith shave this thing clean? i think a close shave is possible but it would screw up the finish on the bore wouldn't it?

any and all suggestions will be considered. can this revolver be made perfect again? it is perfect in every other respect!

damn!

mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Are you going to be shootin' this gun Mike ?
Or, Are you puttin her away in a dark safe for eternity ?
I personally would not be worried about the 9:00 ding. I would think that it was proably there from the factory and it would not hurt performance in any way.
As far as shooting goes, the 1:00 ding is where I may be concerned.
If she's going to be a shooter, and she's not accurate due to the ding on the crown, there's 2 ways to approach it. I'm not a gunsmith, but I'm guessing that the smith can either face the entire barrel. I imagine milling the front face may work, or they would counterbore the crown like you find on the King Cobra's. If that was the approach taken, it would not deface the entire barrel face and you may be able to just reblue the counterbored surface with one of those bluing pens.
The gun could be rebarreled, but that would cost you a couple hundred dollars easy with the cost of the new barrel & removal of the old one & install of the new one.

If she's not going to be shot, I personally would not do a darn thing. That's just my opinion.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
I would not do anything to it even if I were going to shoot it. I doubt that the ding will affect the accuracy enough to make it worthwhile to ruin the collector value of the gun. Hopefully, the effect, IF ANY, will be consistent from shot to shot, thus only requiring sight adjustment.

I vote for leaving it alone.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
This is possibly cleaning rod damage or just the kind of dings you get when a careless owner uses a gun.

The proof is in the shooting. If it shoots OK, then it's nothing but a cosmetic defect, which you get on used guns.

If it won't shoot, a good gunsmith can re-crown the barrel and although the scars will still be there, the gun will shoot properly.

Although a GOOD gunsmith (like Colt) could reface the entire end of the barrel, this might be more trouble and expense than it'd be worth for just cosmetic light cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys,

i have not shot it yet. was thinking just to hold it for investment purposed.

but now, (hee hee) it looks as if i absolutely MUST put a box through it to test the accuracy. gotta do what you gotta do, i guess.

while we're at it, any other takes on this problem?

thanks,

mike

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
guys,

i have not shot it yet. was thinking just to hold it for investment purposed.

[/ QUOTE ]
since the gun has already seen some use i`d shoot it. a little careful use won`t hurt anything and shooting a python is something all revolver lovers should experience. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whew! took it out today. shot some nice tight groups and did little sight adjustment to bring the poa down a bit.

it's perfect and i'm greatly relieved.

mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
Another satisfied gun owner,,now go preach to the Smith crowd that the Python lore is true.They're the Rolls Royce of revolvers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.Now you know why we have our safe queens and our shooters.Got to have both,or three,or four,,,etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts