Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At today's gun show, a guy was disposing of his collection of Colts. It is unusual to see so many older Colts for sale, at least in my neck of the woods. The gun in question was a .38 Officers Model Target.....in Nickel! No box. The guy wanted $450. My pal and I debated it for a while, and then moved on to see the rest of the show. It was gone when we got back. The gun looked legit, but I have never seen or heard of one in Nickel. Did our caution/ignorance allow us to pass up an unusual target Colt or did we just save $450 and a lot of heartache? BTW, the guy had some other neat stuff. Said he sold 10 guns before we got to his table at 10 AM. Still had a 3" Detective Special, a Det. Special in .32 New Police blued, a Police Pos. Target in .22 and another in .32 (I think it was .32), a boxed Challenger, and about 20 other nice old Colts. I did end up buying a Colt today from another guy, and I'll describe that in another post later.
Charlie

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Oguy
What show? I couldn't possibly have missed one!
Dick

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dick: It was the Palm Beach Gun Collectors Assoc. show in West Palm. A very nice show which, surprisingly, had a lot of collectable Colts. Example: a guy had a 5" Colt New Army in .38 Special. All original in about 95% shape. I don't often see guns like that, but there were some nice ones out today. I liked the 5" but had already spent my money on another Colt. I'll take a pic or two of it and post it here tomorrow. Charlie

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
DANG!

I did hear about that from an old geezer I bought a S&W M66 from this week, said he was going there. I had to meet with some Elks up in Umatilla ( not the kind you shoot, the kind you have a beer with) so I wouldn't have been able to make it anyway. Would love to see the pictures, we don't get many over here on the Colt side of town. Dick

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have never seen anything but blued examples and I have never seen any mention in catalogs or advertising of anything but the blued version. However, R.L. Wilson states that, "Blue was by far the standard in finish," so that kinda leaves the door open. It's one of those "who knows?" questions that only a factory letter could confirm, I imagine.

Steve

·
Registered
933 Posts
If it was me, I would have felt like I saved $450 but wished I had spent it. Most of us have walk by many guns we wished we had bought and swear it will never happen again - it does! Just goes with the territory!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts