Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have collected a few “bowie” knives in my time. I talk about a lot of stuff but rarely show pics... I finally got a small display of very high condition (most never used, factory edge) Post war German “Bowie” knives. All are in their original sheaths too. If you don’t know, I like stag :). Some of these knives will never be worth a lot simply cause they are “too rare”. A few are the only one I’ve ever saw, example the 8 inch blade Pryco with blue spacers. I “had to have it” when it came up to auction. I just threw a number in and deal with the consequences when the hammer dropped. I rarely do that btw.

I won’t go into history about post war German knives, they are easy to find and most fairly inexpensive. Popular models combined with top condition can get a little pricey but nothing like pre war knives-not even close! These are some my favorites of post war Germany. I’m a bit concerned as a couple are still MIA and I can’t locate. That happens when you hoard things,,, I’m mean “collect” things :). Oh and btw, most of these are 8 or 10 inch blades and as useless as teets on a boar hog in a “knife fight”. I just like them. If I had to grab one to defend myself, I’d probably run past these to the kitchen and grab the 4 inch paring knife.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last pics of this display for now

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am surprised that you are storing/displaying those in the sheaths. unless you are "oiling them down" on a regular basis. or are you doing something else to protect the blades from the leather ??

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, they sat in there for 30-70 years and still look brand new so I’m not too worried about it. I appreciate the concern tho. If one rusts, I could always use it as a good chisel :).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Leather will not affect steel unless it gets wet and then it is the moisture and not the leather doing the damage. Brass or copper is another thing entirely. We have all seen the green verdigris it causes. Nice looking knives. I have a few of those larger ones around here. It is a very fine line between hoarding and collecting. I think I may have crossed it at times.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
My all time favorite Bowie is the on first shown in the old book "American Knives" by Harold Peterson.

This is one of the earliest Bowie's and has everything a Bowie should have.
One comment people make about the original is the odd upward tilt of the handle that's not in line with the blade.
There's been speculation that the knife was intended to be used upside down.

With the long edge of the blade upward it would rip and cut, while the clipped side could be used to chop and slash.
It's been copied many times, with examples running from trash to ultra high quality versions by top American custom knife makers.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Knives-First-History-Collectors/dp/B0000CK4GM?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0000CK4GM

Atlanta Cutlery sells a cheap replica......

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/primitive-bowie-knife

·
Registered
474 Posts
Leather will not affect steel unless it gets wet and then it is the moisture and not the leather doing the damage. Brass or copper is another thing entirely. We have all seen the green verdigris it causes. Nice looking knives. I have a few of those larger ones around here. It is a very fine line between hoarding and collecting. I think I may have crossed it at times.
I beg to differ. While you are correct in that leather, absent moisture, will not harm steel, very slight amounts of moisture will free acids in the leather which remain from the tanning process. That plays heck with steel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So we are not going to be allowed to see any of the blades. I find looking a sheaths about as fun and exciting as watching the grass grow. Sorry but if I had a bunch of knives I was proud of, the knife would be on display. Not trying to be a jerk, just disappointed.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Yes Sir...

Someone did say "Bowie Knife"...and German Steel with Stag Scales...

SPECS:

Blade Material ~ Solingen Stainless Steel
Blade Length ~ 9.5"
Overall Length ~ 14"
Type ~ Clip Point
Grip Material ~ Red Deer Stag Antler
Country of Origin ~ Germany
City of Origin ~ Solingen

The maker of the original Hen and Rooster knives, Bertram, was founded in 1845 and was quickly recognized as one of the finest knives crafted in Solingen, Germany.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I reckon I’m different, I enjoy seeing a beautiful old knife in its Minty sheath. Seeing an old rusty Bowie blades are a dime a dozen. I like Rare nice stuff, not sure why. Quite a few of these are the only ones I’ve ever saw AND the knives/sheaths brand new! That’s what I like. I have a box full of these used same type knives which I don’t care about. Maybe I can get them out and take a few pics sometime. Now I will say, the Bowie like skilled posted is an incredibly nice piece. It’s got a few things going on for it. You find one of those new in mint sheath, you might have to sell a nice Colt to buy it! Find some special Old time San Fran makers like that, you might not be able to trade your car for it straight up. Those are out of my league. Hen and Rooster was a very good cutlery company at one time, now they are.... well I’ll be nice and just stop my post there.

·
Premium Member
2,960 Posts
Thanks big guns. This one was not cheap either. Glad I had the cash. If not it would of cost me about 4 colts. It’s a JD chevalier made in New York. Worth a lot more than a average Sheffield. It was actually marketed for those heading to California for the gold rush. Man if that knife could talk.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts