Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at all the stuff here on the trade and other site that haven’t sold or that been reduced very low to move them, now the time to buy if you can, the cost of living is on the rise. I think that because GAS and foods are getting so high. Here in Chicago land gas is $3.25 gal . IMOP guy are needing to sell nice stuff to pay bill,

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't think the market for Colts had fallen off at all. At worst, the market may level off for a while.

Offer a NIB 2.5" 22 Diamondback for sale and watch the fur fly.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't see the revolver selection on auctions as broad as it was a year or so ago, and prices for the most part are level.

Selling guns until fall unless you really need the money doesn't make much sense to me as we are in the vacation season, and wallets are bruised by gas prices, etc.

What I am seeing because of the flat market is people buying better guns, and selling lessor guns to get some of the money back, and not getting the price they want.

I hope that makes sense. It does to me anyway.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Around me the summer has always been a slow time for the market. Prices remain the same, but sales fall way off. Vacations, home projects, and kids being home 24/7 takes a big bite out of a lot of people's playtime budget.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Some good points about the summer season being slower, not lower.
Prices for excellent guns continue to escalate, both Colt and S&W.
Even 'so-so' guns seem to be bringing more money lately.
What DOES startle me is the number of 'doorstops' for sale, listed as 'good' or 'very good' condition.
Don

·
Registered
324 Posts
Doesn't look like the Colt market has fallen off or even levelled off.
But since I'm buying right now and not selling, I wish you guys would ease up on the demand side so I could afford more! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi frank,
I have found that there are times of the year that present more opportunity for buying good Colts than others... one is just before tax time, a second has already been mentioned... summer vacations and the third is late fall before Christmas... Seems folks need money more around these times than at other time of the year and some good deals can be had...

As for the Colt gun market in general, I think that prices are escalating just as fast as ever... There was a good article by a financial counselor awhile back in the Colt Collector's Association comparing collector quality Colts and other art objects to Blue Chip stocks... Over the last twenty or so years collector quality Colts have out performed the dow consistantly...

Usually if there is a lack of guns being displayed in the open market (auctions gunshops ect) it means the guns are being purchased before they get to the open market which equates to a higher demand. If you want to know if gun sales are falling off, (less guns being bought by members of the public) check out the number of guns being registered by your state's Brady registration laws and see if it is less or more than this time last year... Most states have this info... BATF uses it to track sales volumes of FFL dealers for audit purposes...

Just my two cents worth :) Bob Best

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
The stuff I want does not seem to be getting any cheaper!

The suggestion to check Brady checks for comparative volumes does not mean much in states that have alternatives, such as carry and purchase permits. I tell people to get a purchase permit, which is issued locally at no charge, and then I can avoid having to run a Brady check on them. I think this is common practice, so Brady checks could be declining when sales are the same or increasing.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Judge ...

Guess you are right. I was thinking of California and the fact that a dealer friend of mine told me BATF used the State registrations of handguns to determine his sales volume during an audit... after reading your post it looks like I may have spoke too fast there... thanks for setting me straight! Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am like JudgeColt.The ones I am looking for are all going up like they are never going to be another one for sale ever.I am still in shock over some of the revolver prices being ask and received.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts