Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found an Officers Model (38sp)that has what appears to be a "Heavy Barrel", but the roll stamp says "Target". Are the barrels the same and just have a different roll stamp?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Starting in 1935 Colt began offering the Officer's Model Target with a heavy barrel.
Same gun, just different weight barrels.
So the barrels are the same, but for the roll stamp, on the Officers Model Heavy Barrel and Officers Model Target? I have an OM Heavy Barrel and it's barrel appears to be exactly the same profile & shape as the one i saw roll stamped "Target".

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The standard barrel contour steps down slightly just in front of the frame, the heavy barrel is a straight tube tapering a little as it gets near the muzzle but doesn't have the obvious step. You won't see any standard barrel OMT's marked Heavy Barrel, but you may see some heavy barrel guns that are not marked Heavy Barrel. Just an oddity from Colt's.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
TBOCF, on the Officers Model Target revolver (.32 and .38 calibers), from 1930-~1949 was sometimes marked HEAVY BARREL (some with The Maltese Cross motif) and "sometimes" present with markings such as Colt Officers Model and Officers Model Target though the "Heavy Barrel" was available (according to the book) from 1930-1940 in .38 caliber only. This kind of anomaly is somewhat confusing as they are called and considered Officers Model Target revolvers but not necessarily so marked.

When I purchased my 1940 "Heavy Barrel" Officers Model I was new to the model nomenclature and needed to educate myself as to exactly "what do I call my OM?". The forum has numerous threads on these wonderful revolvers but I can see where confusion or at least questions will arise concerning markings. So, I have an Officers Model Target that has a barrel marked Colt Officers(over)Model .38 (new line) Heavy Barrel (bracketed by Maltese Cross motif).

Material property Revolver Rim Metal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so the 38sp barrels marked, with the "Heavy Barrel" or "Target" roll stamp, were the same same barrel. The only difference was the roll stamp.

Thank you

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Ok, so the 38sp barrels marked, with the "Heavy Barrel" or "Target" roll stamp, were the same same barrel. The only difference was the roll stamp.

Thank you
No sir, the heavy barrel IS a different barrel. Markings were inconsistent but the heavy barrel didn't have the noticeable "step" that the target barrel has.

Heavy Barrel:
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

Regular Target Barrel:
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

You can see the "step" adjacent to the frame on the regular barrel in the lower picture (borrowed from the internet). Click on images to enlarge.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The Heavy Barrel also has a small flat cut into the bottom of the bbl extending froward from the frame to allow for clearance of the ejector rod. IIRC the regular bbl does not have this.

Best regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts