Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a recently made Gold Cup (05870A1) series 70 National Match. It is listed as having a National Match barrel. I do believe that many years ago this really did mean something. Now days, I wonder if there is much difference. Has anyone here compared a older NM barrel (Say 40 or so years ago) to a current NM one in regards to manufacturing tolerances and such. And, are the current NM barrels much better then a standard Colt barrel. For all I know maybe the new ones are better, maybe not.

Any info would be appreciated, and please stay safe and healthy to all my Colt Forum friends.

·
Registered
500 Posts
No difference internally. Lugs are left over sized slightly for better fitting in the CCS. At one time many years ago there was a difference in internal dimensions.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Colt has traditionally been known for superior barrels. While I cannot remember the custom gunsmith who said it in an interview years ago, he stated that Colt barrels were about as good as it gets...that custom makers sell barrels with their own name on it because customers demand it for custom guns...buyers simply assume the custom barrels are better because they're expensive.

About the only less than stellar barrel accuracy Colt has done were the original design .38 super barrels due not to poor quality manufacture but how they were headspaced...and that a very few times Colt accidentally let out of spec barrels on production guns. Early Anaconda and Colt 2000 handguns are examples of that...not to mention the recent Python barrel issues.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
Colt was always famous for the quality and accuracy of their barrels.
Unlike most gun makers of the 20th Century, Colt made their own barrels.
Sam Colt and his employees actually invented high speed, high quality barrel making machinery, and that type of tooling was used to make most all gun barrels until the 1940's.

A Match 1911 barrel is made to tighter specs in the critical areas like the lugs and barrel hood.
The bores and chambers are gauged for conformity.

Since we now have 21st Century manufacturing tooling that can work to much better tolerances, many modern barrels in standard guns are probably superior to the Match barrels of years ago.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Interesting utube on testing just the barrels. I guess I tend to think of the whole pistol. And I would look at the barrel bushing also. Over the years this has changed in the Gold Cup National match. On the left the barrel with the bushing that fit into a special guide rod plug on a 66 GCNM. In the middle the collet or "finger" barrel bushing out of a 1970s GCNM MkIV Series 70. On the right the barrel and bushing out of a 2012 GCNM MkIV Series 80.

When I take these guns and shoot them over bags at 25 and 50 yards on the same day with the same ammo I get very similar results and that is what is important to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Colt has traditionally been known for superior barrels. While I cannot remember the custom gunsmith who said it in an interview years ago, he stated that Colt barrels were about as good as it gets...that custom makers sell barrels with their own name on it because customers demand it for custom guns...buyers simply assume the custom barrels are better because they're expensive.

About the only less than stellar barrel accuracy Colt has done were the original design .38 super barrels due not to poor quality manufacture but how they were headspaced...and that a very few times Colt accidentally let out of spec barrels on production guns. Early Anaconda and Colt 2000 handguns are examples of that...not to mention the recent Python barrel issues.

The gunsmith you’re referring to is John Giles of Odessa, Florida. He always used stock Colt barrels and assured a tight lockup by using a custom barrel link and well fit pin, fitting the upper lugs and placing two small weld spots inside the opposite side walls of the slide to assure consistent side to side lockup when the chamber went to battery. Pretty ingenious.

He guaranteed accuracy to be 1 3/8” at 50 yards from a random rest and he provided the test targets on delivery. Many were better than that.

He polished the ramps as well as tuning the magazines as they were built for lead H&G cast SWC bullets. His guns built for ball ammo were a bit more rare. I have never seen a Giles with something other than a Colt barrel.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
The original question was on the barrels themselves.

The best barrel made will not make a gun shoot any better if everything else is not fitted correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts