Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my 1st AR15 between now and June 2nd at the Tampa gun show. Trying to learn all I can between various brands and models so I can make somewhat of a knowledgable purchase.

I have seen in person at the gun shop a 6920 and 6940....I understand the differences between those 2 in the sights and rail system. However I've seen on various website a 6920SOCOM and I can't figure out what the difference between the SOCOM is from the 6920 other than hand guard rail...kind of like the 6940. Yep I'm pretty confused....HELP! ;):confused:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I beleive the main difference is the barrel profile. A 6920 has an M4-profile barrel which thins out underneath the handguards. A 6920 SOCom has a continuously thick barrel profile underneath the handguards. There may be some other differences as well, but I believe that is the biggest one.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That depends on what you want to do with your AR15. If you plan on firing mag dumps, full auto, suppressive fire, etc. it would probably be beneficial. If not it will just be more weight on the end of your gun. I was issued a Colt M4 at one point and never had any problems with the barrel over-heating or wished it had a thicker barrel. I also personally own a 6920 and have had no issues with the barrel over-heating in the 4,000+ rounds that I have put through it.

In a nut-shell, you need to decide what you want out of your AR15 and then figure out what features will best accomplish that mission. Let me know if you have any questions :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took possession of a SOCOM today. Aside from the obvious differences - handguards, rear sights - I did notice a true ambidextrous safety/fire selector set-up. There is a switch and indicators on each side of the lower receiver.

Oh, yes... and the heavier barrel, too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a 6920SOCOM also. The receiver on the SOCOM version says "M4A1 Carbine" while the standard 6920 says "M4 Carbine". The 6920SOCOM barrel weighs 4oz more than the 6920 barrel, is 16" long and does not have the flats cut in the barrel under the handguard rail for the M203 grenade launcher. Other than the barrel length, missing flats, and the fact that it is semi-auto only, the gun is just like the M4A1 that our Special Ops use. Regular forces use the M4.

I want my M4A1 clone to be as close as possible to the Block I military version, so I am having a 14.5" SOCOM barrel installed with a Knight's flash hider permanently pinned to make it a legal 16". Many people do not like the permanently pinned hiders because it can limit your options if you ever want to change the rail.

Later, I may buy another SOCOM upper to make a Block II clone.

Evolution of SOPMOD Block I and II. http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007smallarms/5_8_07/Gatewood_300PM.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T hanks for the education! this AR will be used for range fun, home defense. I'm just getting an AR just because i want one and want to learn about them.Maybe the SOCOM version is not the one I should look for. I'm liking the 6940 because it already has the rail on it...good choice instead of the 6920?

·
Registered
29 Posts
SOCOM is a nice weapon, but it costs about $1,500. You can get a 6920 for less than that, about $1,000, and it will do what you want it to do, and you'll have money left over for about 1,000 rounds! :) The 6940 is sweet, too, but I don't know how much that one costs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No point getting the 6920SOCOM for your intended use. In general, I am not fond of monolithic uppers like the 6940 has. Too many rail options that I would rather have. However, it will cost more money to add a rail to the 6920. I also don't like the Rogers stock Colt is using now, but that is easy to replace. So, either the 6920 or 6940 would be an excellent choice. Your personal preference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
T hanks for the education! this AR will be used for range fun, home defense. I'm just getting an AR just because i want one and want to learn about them.Maybe the SOCOM version is not the one I should look for. I'm liking the 6940 because it already has the rail on it...good choice instead of the 6920?
Home defense?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I asked because conventional wisdom states a pump action shotgun is the home defense weapon of choice. Conventional wisdom continues by recommending a handgun for home defense in the event a shotgun is not an option.

I had not heard of an AR-type rifle being used as a home defense weapon. I live in a small house in a neighborhood in which homes are pretty close together. I don't think I am comfortable using my Colt carbines as my home defense weapon. I think my Mossberg 500 is probably a better choice for my environment.

For you AR owners using it as a home defense weapon... Do you live on a large piece of land with neighboring homes a good distance away from your own?

Maybe I am being overly concerned at firing a high-velocity round in home defense in my little home in my relatively densely populated subdivision.

Perhaps I can learn something here. What is it that you like about your 5.56mm assault rifles (uh... Sporting rifles) as home defense weapons?

·
Registered
436 Posts
It is surprising to a lot of people to learn that 12ga buckshot and 9mm generally penetrate farther than a 5.56 round. If you don't buy it coming from me here's a link to some info on the topic by ballistician Dr. Gary K. Roberts: Home Defense Long Guns - M4Carbine.net Forums. Also keep in mind that pretty much any load that is suitable for self-defense (regardless of caliber) will be able to penetrate interior walls and possibly exterior walls depending on the material.

The AR15 is also a practical choice for me and others who have been issued AR15's/M4's/M16's as their primary weapon in a LE/mil role as we will already have a great deal of proficiency with it due to the amount of training we have on the platform. I am not arguing, though, that the AR15 is the only choice or that it is the best choice for you. Just that it is a legitimate choice for HD and should be considered.

Oh, and you will not offend me by calling my AR15 an assault weapon. While mine is not capable of burst or full-auto fire I do realize what its inventor designed it for (not competitions or hunting). ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good discussion....as I'm new and learning.....funny but I was reading on some other forums about DI and Gas Piston...WOW...LOL hahahaha very interesting.

luckybaer, I live in Florida...big house that is built from cinderblock. No kids of people in other rooms. Houses to each side of me but no houses in the back or front.

William B. thanks for the reference to the Roberts post and report on the other forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always thought the 5.56mm from one of these ARs would go too far if I missed the target. I guess if it went through glass, but through drywall, wood, cinder block, etc. not so much? I'll read the article to find out more.

Being familiar with the AR platform is a good thing. I feel confident that I can actually teach my family about it pretty well. My wife was saying "We need to buy an AK-47." I wasn't interested because of my lack of familiarity. Maybe now that I have my Colts, I can look into a 7.62mm rifle. I have time to work through a learning curve!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my 6940 with the Aimpoint Pro. I was just shooting offhand at an 18 inch steel disc at 200 meters and landed 11 of 20 shots. I figure not too bad for 68 year old eyes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Rljatl, When you get that SOCOM all dressed up for block I. I certainly hope you post picks and maybe a range report. I was headed in that direction myself, then I found a Used 6720R. I could not pass it up, great balance!!

@Luckybaer, Try some Hornady TAP. My Colt loves the stuff and that is what I have loaded in one clip in case that weirdo naked guy that ate the face off that other naked guy has any relatives that come to NH.

@Mdrums, You mentioned buying your Colt at the Tampa show. Are you certain there will be a vendor there that has your model? Why not your local Gun Shop? Just curious. Nothing wrong with shows.
I am glad you ask good questions. It seems you are really doing your homework on Colt AR's. I just finished my term paper myself! Lot's to learn Bud!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Six gun, my local dealer will have the largest table at the show, plus other stores will have tables too. Yep lots to learn...fun though..thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts