Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my never ending quest to keep the economy afloat, I've started a "collection" of Police Positive Specials in .38 Spl. The 3 I currently have are: (1) 2nd Issue (1936) and (2) 3rd issues, B554xx (4" 1972)& 8214xx (6" 1963). The 1972 model came with Black Pachmar grips and the 1963 with checkered walnut. My quandry is that the butt frame on the '72 with the Pachmars is square on the bottom and 1/2" shorter than the '63 which has a rounded bottom. Were the Pachmar grips standard and the frame just made shorter in this version? How about the rounded butt on the '63. Are most 3rd Issues rounded or is this a variation?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Around 1966 the D frame grip frames were all shortened and squared. They use the stocks that wrap under the bottom and meet in the center. The wrap under "extension" was 3/8" on Agents and about 5/8" on DSs and others. Along with the later "combat" (ugly) style stocks, there was also a target version with a 1" extension. I suspect you'll get a plethora of pictures which I don't have of all the variations. :cool:

Sorry, also a welcome to the forum. :)

Here's a couple on DSs.

The PPS MkV (1994-1995) came with medallioned Pachmayr Compaq style as did the DSs of the day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is that "MKV" version? I've never seen that one, but have had a couple of the heavy barrel ones, with a shroud that only covers the ejector rod. Full underlug, only seen that on a 4" SFVI, which I did not buy, dagnabbit.

Bart Noir

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The MkV was made in 1994-95. Like most of the others, it is essentially a (fourth issue) DS with a 4" barrel. It is apparently not very popular, but I like both the appearance and feel so I have a couple. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts