Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a brand new in the box Det Spl that was all blued frame with a beautiful shiney nickel cylinder. Shop keeper claims only 500 of these made by colt...looks to be a 3rd edition model...anybody have any knowledge on this??? asking price was 600 dollars.

Thanks
Jim Hutch

[This message has been edited by jim hutch (edited 07-05-2005).]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Colt did these odd combinations in early 1960's as sales were sagging. These were made for the collector market. Various combinations were made. I have an Official Police with nickel frame and cylinder with a blue barrel. Odd? It came that way from the factory actually as I have the box.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Gentlemen, this thread's got my interest. Some time back, we chatted about the Python in an obscure Robert Blake movie called, "Electra Glide in Blue," in which he plays an southwest deputy that makes detective. His guns are some of the main characters. In uniform, he has a 4" Python with nickel barrel and cylinder and blue frame. And when he makes detective, he gets a plain, blue DS - the badge of rank. I just think that two-tone Python is the cat's meow but I've never seen anything like them for sale. Someone else has posted here about Colts and even Brand X making nickel/blue guns. I'd buy one! Tell us more? Pictures!?!?

·
Registered
13 Posts
WHere was the shop located? I got a set from a place called b&b sales in texas and they were FAKES. Beware as someone probably switched up two detective specials to make it. These were not catalouged and I found out the hard way. Lucily, I was able to get my money back. That shop in general was trying to pass off a bunch of redone CRAP as NIB. Beware. As far as the $600 price, I think it high. My research leads me to believe you are dealing with a frankenstien gun. If it is something special, and I am worng, the box will tell as well as any original paperwork. If it were me, i'd RUN.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with colt...they are familiar with this piece and I'm gonna have it documented thru the archives...I'll let you know what they dig up in 90 days

Jim

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
These guns could be faked. You are doing the right thing contacting Colt. I got mine from Jeff Faintich about 10 years ago when he was doing shows. Most recently he has only been doing auctions. He is a very very reliable source of information and I would trust him as much as I would the factory.

Jeff would laugh. He sent me a big Hershey's chocolate bar with the Colt Logo on it for christmas, and I still have it to this day in the frig. It is 10 years old. I was a pretty good customer for a while.

[This message has been edited by 22-rimfire (edited 07-09-2005).]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The $600 price is well within the reasonable range, proabably low, for one of these guns if Colt produced it that way from the factory. As you all know, these were never cataloged, not that this really means anything other than the gun is rare.

I believe I paid more than that 10 years ago for my NIB 22 OP.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sorry to say that Jeff Faintich passed away a couple of years ago, I can't remember the date. He put out some great catalogs. RIP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got the official letter from the Colt archives...there was 250 of these produced for a special order in 1982. Came in the nickel cylinder and blued frame.I guess you can figure out I bought the little beauty first...glad I did now

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts