Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Dillon 650 press for some time but only use it for loading .32 S&W & .32H&R MAG and I am looking to use it for more cals to include 357m & 32-20.To do so I have to purchase the relevent caliber conversions to suit( no problem)I have checked out the conversion procedures and it
appears to be pretty straight forward.
So the question is "is"there any particular thing I should look out for that some of you guys have encounered while
changing calibers.
On the other hand do any of you also use the Quick change
toolhead powder system for each caliber.I hoping the extra small powder bar will cope with all the calibers.At the moment I load the 357m on another press and I am going to load 32-20 as soon as I get the dies from the US in a week or so.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have two Dillon 650's and one Dillon 550.I use one 650 for the calibers of 38/357 and below.The other for 45acp and 44mag.I kept my 550 because I have all the conversions I need,and figured I could do short runs.

You can get by with only the small powder bar if all you do is pistols.You need to change out the primer punches for small to large,and also the shell plate for the case feeder.You can do up to 38/357 on the small plate but need to go for the large plate for anything bigger then 38/357.

The decision to use a quick change is up to you and if you don't mind adjusting everything outside of the toolhead.It's not that bigga deal.I would consider more then one powder charge checker though.You get it wrong and you break the plastic beeper.I think at $62 a piece it is safe insureance,,get 3 of them at least,for your more common calibers.

And by all means go into some other forums more dedicated to reloading,such as Greybeards or The High Road,,two that come into my mind right now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Aussie, I am only set up for one caliber on my 650, I do everthing else on an RCBS single stage. As time goes on I will get other plates, measures, alarms, etc for other calibers as it is not worth it (to me)to change adjustments for each caliber change. Enjoy your 650.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the conversions but only have one 650 (sigh!). I currently run .357 and .44 mag and have run .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .40 S&W in the past. As Chevis notes 2 would be nice as would have to change out the small to large priming system. Right now that would not be a concern to you. I use the quick change toolheads as they are not all that expensive vs. changing the dies. I also have a powder measure for each. As these are a bit more expensive you may want to forgo this. As to powder checkers I have one for each caliber but use the RCBS (not the lockout) as they are about $18 if I recall. On the downstroke I watch both the powder checker as it comes up to the index mark and the powder bar on the powder measure to be sure it went the full travel so do not think this slows me down.

Just as an aside some firm recently came out with a bullet feeder for the 650 so the whole process can be automated. Don't recall the firm but there were ads in "American Handgunner".

·
Registered
345 Posts
A bullet feeder for the 650 huh,,,hell I could pick my nose and pump out bullets at the same time then.What'll they think of next?....But truthfully I have heard you got to stay on top of some of them bullet feeders as they don't have a fullproof way of knowing if the bullet is upside down or right side up,,,what I heard,,And I'm sure the more expensive units that the ammo makers have,use better equipment then any of us are going to pay for.I never used a progressive with a shell case feeder even till I got my 650's.

I graduated up from a single stage to a 550 and then one 650 and now have my two 650's,one 550 and my single stage Lyman,,which I am going to use real soon to make some 32 20 WCF..I wont shoot enough of them to even justify buying the dies I'm sure,,and no way justify buying a shell plate and going through the hassle of setting up a machine for a run of 100 or so at a time.Even if I have the shell plate already for the 550,,I wont bother.I'm kinda getting anxious waiting for the brass I got ordered.I kinda miss doing it slow and easy,makeing sure every case it the same,etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts