Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought several 8 round Colt mags, and can't remove the follower at all. The seven round mags have not been a problem to break down. Believe it or not, I called Colt Customer Service and they said the mags could not be disassembled! Is that right? I'll return them if I can't clean them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
OP:

Think about what they told you. Everything is the same except the follower, the wire diameter and the number of coils....... and possibly the maker of the tube. KW is correct.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OP:

Think about what they told you. Everything is the same except the follower, the wire diameter and the number of coils....... and possibly the maker of the tube. KW is correct.
Of course, it made no sense to me either. I did notice that the spring on the 8 round has fewer coils: less wire = room for another round. I also figured out via YouTube that the way to remove the 8 round follower is to hold the front lips of the follower and push on the back, which tilts it and allows removal. It doesn't just fall out as does the 7 round piece.

I just can't understand how someone in Customer Service could say that "the 8 round magazines are made to not allow disassembly". Will keep that in mind when dealing with them.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I just can't understand how someone in Customer Service could say that "the 8 round magazines are made to not allow disassembly". Will keep that in mind when dealing with them.
Picture a corporate attorney looking over their shoulder as they provide advice.

Reactions: ei8ht and ponyup

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Glad you got them apart. Glad you noted the difference between the spring from a seven and the spring from an eight.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
The anti-tilt skirt on the front of the Check-Mate Follower does take a bit of finesse to remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts