Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the picture of the serial number. You can see where the original number was ground off and a new number stamped in it's place. Unbelievable.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Colt-Model-1903-32-A-C-P-.cfm?gun_id=100364527

You would think even someone who knows nothing about Colt's would have seen that there was something not right about this one. Whoever sold it to them is laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looks strange to me. I prefer not to deal with Cabela's or Gander Mt. Ripoff artists on trades. I think most of their used guns are from estates. My NIB, 2012 Colt 6920 AR wasn't worth $900 to them(Cabela's)so they packed it up and let me walk on a Colt Official Police MKIII listed at $569. I'm not giving it away. I'm happy, they're happy, I guess.

·
Premium Member
20,792 Posts
"1903 hammerless at Cabelas for only $1489.99"

Besides who would pay that for a refinished 1903 anyway.

It may not be a new serial number, perhaps the old one reapplied.
It would be interesting to see if they ground off the inside serial number too.
Regardless they would need a letter of authorization from the BATF.

Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
It hurts...and at that price it hurts a LOT...The gun library manager must have been off and let the janitor price that piece. I agree, that is embarrassing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
What's worse about this particular gun, is that the Cabela's Gun Library shows the gun as "pending". That usually means that it's been sold, or in process of being sold.

The buyer must have more money than brains. :bang_wall: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
10,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It probably says "pending" because I e-mailed them and told them they should take a second look at it. They thanked me and said they are investigating it.

Cabelas does indeed over price a lot of stuff, but I've also got some of the best deals there as well. Sometimes they mismark things the other way and mistakenly mark something at half what it's worth. Doesn't happen much but I benefitted from this there a couple times. And when I've had a problem with any gun I've bought there they are happy to take it back. I have no problem with their customer service, but a lot of their gun "experts" don't really know what they are doing.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,524 Posts
I never forget the time that I walked into the Cabala's store in Michigan and they had just put a 100% looking New Service Target in the case with a price tag of $2766 on it. I asked to see the gun and while looking at it the Library manager said does that interest you and I said yes but not at that price. I told him that I would not give more than $2300 and after checking his books he accepted the offer. They work on a margin off what they buy a gun for. If they bought it cheap, they will sell it cheap. The reverse is also true and that is why some guns sit in their inventory for a long time. If they make a mistake and pay to much then they have to sell it for a higher price. Bargains can be had from them if you follow there site and know what is a good deal.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've bought 2 firearms from Cabelas, both internet. A Colt and a Winchester and in both instances I was given discounted pricing after talking to the gun library manager and discussing the pros and cons of the firearm in question. They made a profit, I got a better deal than if I'd gone the GB route on both. As with any business they need to make a profit and as with all of us, we like to think we're getting a decent deal.

·
Registered
10,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've posted these before but sometimes I like to stick up for Cabelas a little :)

$465: Early high polish 1908 hammerless .380 from 1911

$700: 1908 vest pocket from 1917 with box and papers and 5 factory magazines. Also the "Tansley Device" brochure which they only put in these for the first year or two when the device was first installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to Driff's Guide - a listing of all second hand bookshops in the UK - the only time a retailer gets to show his imagination is on the price ticket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.