Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my Beretta 94FS and made a mental note as to how well it fit my hand. It has the stacked magazine well; therefore it is wide and feels substantial in my palm.

I set out to get a grip on my Colt's to do a comparison. I have always and forever loved holding and shooting the Pythons but did a random sampling of semi-autos and other revolvers.

Colt's Special Combat Government feels spectacular. Well balanced, it fits me faultlessly. In a somewhat unexpected way, a Detective Special feels great; light, pointable and quick responding to the input of my shooting movements.

Overall, for me, it seems to be a toss-up as to which gun fits me more like a glove. I come down to the Special Combat Model O and Colt's Model P SAA with walnut stocks. Perhaps two different types of gloves but both are exceptionally natural feeling and comforting in my hand.

It got me to wondering what the rest of this fine group feels most comfortable holding?

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I bought my son a used Beretta 92 when he got out of the Marines. But he preferred my S&W 3913 so I gave him that. I could have tolerated the fat grip of that smooth shooting Beretta, except it had a dummy magazine that legally only held ten rounds. I could not justify that fatter grip for just ten rounds. So I sold it. As to Colts, a plain SAA with eagleless black hard rubber grips fit my hand perfect. On a smaller scale, my '51 Cobra with cheap coltwood grips and a
Tyler T-grip is just right.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
My Walker, my Dragoon, my 1860 Army, my SAA's, and my Python all seem to fit me very well. I think Colt was thinking of me when they designed those gunhandles.
Thanks for reminding me. I have average hands and I find the 1860 Army grip frame perfect for me with proper thickness, or thinness grips. Strange, since they are so different than a SAA which I like also. One of my fave. shooters is this blackpowder only Gren conversion .44 special. It's a true conversion of a pasta blaster of unknown make.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Colt's model P with gutta percha or plastic stocks fit my hand like a glove. The only other gun with this feeling is my Diamondback with Herrett's shooting star grips. The factory grips are too wide at the base.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The original m1911 and Gov't Models always seemed perfect for me.

It's just like part of my Hand.

I realized the other day, that I hold Revolvers the same way Jelly Bryce did, fingers sort of 'bunched up' on one-another behind the Trigger Bow.

I love Revolvers, but none ever really fit me right, or me them, even though we get along just fine anyway.

I am kind of thinking the Colt 1878 DA might be closest for me to being 'right' but it has been a while since I held one...next time I get a chance, I will try one and see.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Well I have several handguns that fit my hand really well. But you stated what Colt? So, for starters my 2 1/2 inch Python with original service stocks and a Tyler T grip is exceptional for fit and balance. Next is my 2 1/2 inch Diamondback, which sports custom Sambar Stag stocks and a Tyler T grip. This is one of my favorite carry guns. A 2 inch PPS, and a 3inch "chopped" PPS follow. All with original stocks and Tyler T grips. As for autos sorry no Colts yet . A Browning Hi-Power, and a Smith model 39-2 fit my hand really well and I love these autos period. My little model 60 Smith also is a real comfortable little bugger, with some very old Sambar Stag stocks and a Tyler T grip it fits perfect in my hand, and shoots great. Just like pointing your finger at the target and saying "BANG". Peace.Blade

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. I have average hands and I find the 1860 Army grip frame perfect for me with proper thickness, or thinness grips. Strange, since they are so different than a SAA which I like also. One of my fave. shooters is this blackpowder only Gren conversion .44 special. It's a true conversion of a pasta blaster of unknown make.

You know what's really interesting about your comment is that I have really large meathooks and the Colts fit me just like they fit you. There's the genius of Colt

·
Registered
223 Posts
I love my colts i love my colts i love my colt i love my colts....

but my G _ _ _ K 19 fits my hand, well, like another hand.

Didn't have the heart to type it out here.

Sorry guys.

Doc, that CCO above is making my heart skip a beat. Beautiful.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
My Police Positive Target .22 with the Tyler T-Grip just seems to come on target naturally. My 1950 Commander in 9mm just shoots and handles great. Both these guns make it seem like I actually am a decent shot.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
E/I and V frames seem to be the guns that fit me the best, and as such are the guns I can shoot the most accurately. Even though S&W K frames are similar in size, they just don't feel "right" to me. Even though I have a few Smith's, Colt's outnumber them by a large margin because they just feel and shoot better for me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
As for Colts, my Officers LW with wrap-arounds fits the bill. For a better fit, I have to give the nod to my Ballester Molina's. Something to do with the lack of a grip safety that makes those two seem like they are part of my hands. But for the absolute perfect fit, it's my Walther OSP .22 short, with a set of broken to size wooden paint stir sticks wrapped in athletic tape. When my hand gets set, I start nailing the bullseye like the gun is working off a bench rest. The Walther takes this old, shakey, tired eyed, bullseye shooter back to his younger days.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
My old beat up 4" Python with the rubber finger grooves fits me better than any other revolver that I have.When I pick it up there is never a need to adjust my grip.Even with a broken hammer spur it still puts 12-4-12 inside a 6" square at 25yds.That's good for me not being a revolver shooter.As far as other guns my West German Sig P-226 with finger groove wrap arounds fit me so well that I don't want to put it down.D*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.