Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this here real quick because there's more traffic in this category. A forum member has a 1911 Colt Audley holster that needs extensive re-stitching. It has no welt (leather spacer along the main edge) and I need to know if Audley holsters are supposed to, or usually have a welt. Also, I've always wondered about that piece sewed on around the outside to maintain it's form. Is there metal under that piece of leather? Thanks in advance, everyone.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Difficult and tedious to re-Sew...but, if one is patient and has some Haemostats or 'Clamps' to manage the ( necessarily, special, 'short' ) Needle deep inside there...it can be done. Re-Stitching these is more like Surgical Suturing than usual Leather Work, since one is obliged to manage procedures within a limited physical space where one can not see directly, and, to do so without the benefit of the otherwise steps and continuity of process originally used in succession to stitch the whole.

I t-h-I-n-k there is indeed a thin Steel re-enforcer under that outside section which curves on around, but, none of mine are Handy for me to test this and see for sure. If an aged Audley Holster is compressed from the side-edges in, it can blow the old Seams like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.