Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously boxes are necessary for NIB guns whether buying or selling, but how about for guns of a lesser condition? I just purchased a 1969 4" Python. It has quite a bit of holster wear, but no pitting and has a tight lockup. I purchased it as a pick-up gun and/or shooter, or I may see if I can trade it for a King Cobra somewhere if opportunity comes along. It does have what I believe to be the proper box and paperwork. To me it doesn't really matter, I'll put the box away and keep it in case I do ever sell or trade, but does it help the value any? I don't sell a lot, but I thought some of the more active traders might have an opinion, and I'm sure many others have similar guns.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am seeing guns for sale with a repo or non original box, and so stated,for 3500.00. So I guess a box, any box, is pretty important to some buyers. It appears to be whatever the market will bear.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
If you are going to resell the gun latter with the box and paperwork you will have to get them authenticated.Right now due to the flood of phony labels,boxes and hang tags all boxes are looked on as suspect. If the box ect is fake and you sell them with the gun as original to the gun you will have a very hard time and be labeled as a scammer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll pay a little extra for a box but I'm not as smart as a lot of the collectors. I've got a buddy that started collecting boxes in a big way 10 years ago. Grips, too. He's done well but I've never lost any money on a high end gun that didn't have a box.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Boxes go for as little as $25.
Even if the serial numbers aren't a match, a period correct box will add more to the final price of the gun than the price of the box, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I just let go a SAA Stage Coach box, a Detective Special box, another SAA 1978 box with paperwork and 2 S&W boxes this week to forum members for very minimal pricing i.e. to cover shipping only. That I guess should speak for me. Growing up the pistol, shotgun or rifle came home and the box went immediately in the trash and the gun up on the wall gun rack. It did have a wooden dow rod for security with a locking drawer underneath. I lean more towards 'longranger's" comment......"no special meaning to me."

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I don't think I've ever bought a gun new in the box, and if I did, it wouldn't stay that way for long. I have bought guns that had the original box, but it made absolutely no difference in my purchase decision. To me it's all about the condition and desirability of the gun, not the ephemera that it was originally packaged with. I couldn't care less if I had the original box or not.

Best regards,

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
Years ago the box was nothing more than to ship the gun in and for the buyer to take it home in. They weren't saved like they are today and weren't made out of plastic, and unless an old gun got put up on a shelf and forgotten you very seldom find the old guns in the original boxes. Depending on the rarity and condition of the gun, they can add considerably to the value of a gun.

I never thought the box added much to the value of a modern gun in well used condition.

Had an old friend that passed away a few months back, and for many years he dealt in Winchesters. He had a Model 97 Winchester that was new in the original box, and a prospective buyer called to see if he still had it. When the buyer got there he looked it over and bought it. To my friend's amazement the buyer took the shotgun out of the box, assembled it, racked it several times and headed out the door. My friend told him he forgot the box, but the buyer told him he could have the box as he was going to use the Model 97.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Hello folks, my view on this topic may agree with most or maybe not. A gun in a box to a collector means a great deal if it is new since it is in original state. If the gun is used then it doesn't mean as much at least in my book. Is it nice to have the original box when the gun is used? Yeah I guess since it is complete. But lets just put things in perspective. It's the gun that is worth money not the box. For the guys who need the box for what ever reason, are you telling me if I had a 99% gun say a SAA from the original issue to the US Govt. but had no box you wouldn't buy it for your collection? So all the old west guns that are near mint shape are not worth an investment? Or say the original first run of 1911 say its #2 you don't want this gun because it has no box? The BS bogus boxes that are on e bay or selling on GB to make it look like it is original to sucker you in to buy their guns at a high price. Take a good look at all the Pythons on GB. There are something wrong with most of the guns. When they came with wood and the rubber grips hit the market everyone took the wood off and put rubber on the guns. Most of the guns on GB are not original, grips or sights or boxes or something. Not period grips the emblems are wrong on the rubber grips or what ever. There are some guys who are honest and kudos to them. The others are all BS and that is why their guns wont sell and sit there with no bids. Some of the guys on this sight that sell their guns and catch heat for their prices not knocking them at all. They sell you guns which they believe are 100% original and set their prices. If you want it you pay if no then you don't. But to their credit they are selling you something that they say is solid 100% original.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Here's A Thought

Sfry, when it is time for you or your heirs to sell your Python with its box and papers, and there happens to be another 1969 4" Python for sale, in exactly the same condition and offered at the same price but without the box and papers, which one will sell first?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The gun with the box and papers will sell first every time but is it worth more? No. Both guns are used in the same condition worth the same. The one with the box gives it the appeal of it being complete in a buyers mind. In reality it isn't worth more.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Call me crazy but if I were to find a 3 digit or 4 digit shooter grade Python with the original box and paper work (not a Tenn special) I would pay more than the same gun without said box and paper work. So, to me yes it is worth more.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It all hinges on the potential buyers looking at the gun....They have the money and will decide what they will pay and what they will pass. If you are at a Colt Collectors Association meeting, then the gun with the box and papers will sell better. If you're at a local flea market surrounded by shooters and wheeler dealers, the bare gun with no accoutrements will sell quicker and at a lower price. A knowledgeable buyer will know the value of the box and the gun, whether it's kept together or sold separately, so the box is of some value, whether the buyer wants it, or not. Those that say they won't pay a higher price because the gun has the box and all the goodies because they want only a shooter, won't have a high dollar collection for the wife and new boy friend to sell after his passing, so there is a bright side to buying just shooters....:)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I think getting the box with the gun is always a plus. as long as the box is original to the gun. speaking of boxes I have a colt stagecoach box but no colt saa. the gun was traded off long ago and for some reason I didn't take the box with me. the box is used now to hold parts and it's in very good condition. maybe some day i'll pick up a colt saa from the same time period. but I doubt it, too expensive. well you never know, might find a well used one for a lower price.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Text Paper Pattern Paper product Document Font Label Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Rectangle

I did pay premium for this 1936 M1908 .380 with box numbered to the pistol though it's the only "collectible" I really own in this shape. To me it'll be the "one of a kind" in my collection as most everything else get's loaded and shot. I own more than one of this model so I can refrain from shooting THIS ONE.

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
A collectible gun in an original box doesn't make the gun worth more, but it does make the gun and box together worth more. Either one priced separately won't bring what they will together, and the original paperwork will add even more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
guys, I realize this is a colt site, but check out the prices people are paying for smith registered magnum boxes if you think boxes don't matter. how many have seen or owned a first gen. saa with the original box. would that box make the gun more valuable?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
As it was stated 'The original box with the original gun are worth more together." Collectors will pay more provided the box is original to the gun and not a reproduction box.Many sellers who unknowlingly or knowlingly sell a fake box with a gun will run into trouble if the buyer is knowlegeable and spots the box as a fake. It is sad but there has been a influx of fake boxes flooding the market and many buyers just take the fake box and gun,throw it in the safe,and don't find out they have been had until years later. If you are selling a package just make sure the box is what it is......JMHO.....Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts