Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 1906 SAA was converted to a .45 ! It seems that was a favorite of my Father in law ! Question is do I have it converted back to the original.32 20? I found the original parts that went with it

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I agree with saintclair, and would definitely convert it back. When converted back, that will be one really nice SAA.

BTW, are sure about it being .45 Colt? Your image with the closeup of the left side of the frame shows "...OTER" on the barrel, which is likely "SHOOTER", from Colt Frontier Six-Shooter, which was only used on 44-40.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Picture #1 clearly shows the barrel stamped "Frontier Six- Shooter"
Parts should be worth something if the cylinder is a Colt 44-40

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t know for sure if it is a .45 , thanks for pointing that out . I will do some research on that . Next would be is to find a SAA gunsmith in the Houston area to do this for me

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm with Sinclair on this one. I'd put it back to original. I personally like the stage grips even though some on this forum will not. I'm sure it's because Dad raised us to be deer hunters. Been collecting antlers all my life. I find the flutes on the cylinder to be interesting. If there are any marks on it please post them for us to see.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I'll go against the grain here. I own and shoot a hand full of 32-20s. Fun guns. And no question it adds value having the original parts to that gun. Likely how the gun was shipped (as a 32wcf) . 32 wcf was the most popular caliber Colt sold during that time period. But one never knows. I'd want to letter that gun with Colt Archives. But I still wouldn't change it back even if the 32-20 is original. A vintage 44-40 with a original Colt barrel (likely a Christy cylinder but could easily be a early Colt 1st cylinder as well) is worth some, may be more than the 32-20, even as a 1st Gen parts gun. 32-20 and 44-40 factory ammo is going to cost the same, if not less in 44-40 these days and much easier to find. The gun is a smokeless frame and in the best vintage (1901 to 1912) that Colt produced.

The real questions IMO are, is the cylinder a Colt product and if so when was it likely produced? I have a first Gen 44 and 45 cylinder that looks very similar (wide long flutes) that are both Colt.

You'll want to know more about that cylinder before shooting any sort of ammo in that particular gun. Heck of a nice heirloom you got there!

Nice stag grips but sadly they don't fit that gun and won't. I'd replace them or have a pair made before you do any shooting.

The photos of this gun show it in great condition. You might be surprised how much it is actually worth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here’s some pictures of the cylinder . There are a few more I have just in a box that I put in the picture as well

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
JFH, you mentioned prior that you have I have 5 SAA in your new collection. It would seem by your photos and the extra cylinders and barrels the previous owner knew his SAA guns. Here is the best piece of advice anyone can give you on these guns. Pay the money and letter all five with Colt Archives. It will cost you $500 or so. But worth every penny. You'll then know exactly the configuration each gun was shipped in and when.

Anyone knowledgeable about the Colt SAA can easily change and fit new barrels and cylinders in different calibers and barrel lengths. I have done it many times over. I bet the previous owner of your guns did as well. Your parts pile and the exotic grips on two of the guns tell me that. Only way to actually know how your guns started out from the factory is with a letter for each gun.

Your pile of parts, barrels, cylinders and anything else you have is an actual treasure trove for Colt Collectors.

Does that new looking 45 barrel pictured above have a one line or two line address roll mark on top of the barrel?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I say which caliber do you like the best. I'm a big fan of the 32-20 but it's not really an easy cartridge to find at you local gun store.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This 1906 SAA was converted to a .45 ! It seems that was a favorite of my Father in law ! Question is do I have it converted back to the original.32 20? I found the original parts that went with it View attachment 704230 View attachment 704231 View attachment 704232 View attachment 704233 View attachment 704234
If you prefer to shoot 32-20 change it back now. If not , shoot it as a .45 but keep the original parts with the gun so it can be put back to original if you change your preference laer . It's not hurting it any shooting it as it is .

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Or you can shoot .45 and enjoy your FiL's favorite gun until the letter comes back then make a decision.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Likely worth noting that the gun is currently a 44-40 with a 1st Gen Colt FSS barrel attached and not a 45 as the OP originally supposed. Until the frame is lettered no telling how the gun was shipped from Colt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate all of the great input ! I have not yet even attempted to fire any of these ! I do have tons of 44-40 and Colt 45 to use though! They are a bit intimidating for a new user like myself !

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Even after reading all these postings, I still feel that if you have the original barrel and cylinder for this frame which has so much original finish left on it, the SAA needs to be returned to its original configuration.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts