Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently told that this is the best /softest feeling /low recoil / big punch /silky smooth 1911 ---- fun to shoot and "pretty too" -------so-do you agree ??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't know if what you were told is true but this one is on my to acquire list so I can find out for myself. Just love the look of the shiny thing. Plus, if you look at the ballistics of this load, you can crank it up to darn near .357 levels and how can that be bad in a 1911?

Tim

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't know how one defines 'best'...best for what? It's like asking which is the best tool, a hammer or a saw?

I'm not sure what constitutes a 'big punch'. I can only repeat what MG Julian S. Hatcher's son said when his father was testing the then-new Super .38. "Gee, dad, that new gun certainly lifts my hat!"

I will say the Super .38 has more handloading potential than the Parabellum round, which is a good thing considering the limited types of factory ammunition available.

As for 'fun to shoot,' some people find a .44 Magnum fun to shoot. They probably wouldn't like the Super .38, as even hot loads have less recoil than a .45ACP. I like the flat trajactory, as illustrated by an anecdote Leroy Thompson told of two railroad detectives who were patrolling the freight yards and saw two hobos a hundred yards away.
"Let's go roust those bums," one detective said.
"That's too far to walk," his companion replied, and drawing his Super .38, began shooting at the bums.

I wouldn't call any Colt Govt Model 'silky smooth'. Every one I've ever seen benefited from some competent pistolsmithing, starting with a trigger job.

As for them being 'pretty,' the term I prefer is 'pimpy'...but that's an individual call.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Hell... that is sure pretty /// I mean Pimpy!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Makes my plain old ordinary one look........well ordinary!
I tend to agree with the other stuff though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts