Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to buy a speedloader for my two Colt Detective Specials (2nd & 3rd issue) and my S&W models 10 & 15.

Do these guns all take the same size speedloaders; or are there two different sizes needed?

Also, I'm leaning to Safariland model I and II, but I've never used any speedloades, so I'd appreciate some advice.

I am a plinker, not a CCW (yet).

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
In the HKS brand at least, the Colt "D" frames took the same size loader as the S&W "K" frames like the Model 10 and 15.

HKS did make labeled loaders for the DS and another for the "K" frames, but I couldn't detect any real difference.

I would assume that since the cylinders and chamber spacing is so close, other make loaders will interchange too.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like the HKS better than the Safariland. I just find them easier to load and easier to use.

I use HKS P/N DS-A for my Detective Specials. The Smith Mod 10 uses an HKS P/N 10-A. So the manufacturer must think there is enough difference to make two different part numbers. I suppose in a pinch they would interchange, but I'd buy the one meant for your gun.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
greetings , i remember reading a magazine some time ago that the LAPD boys loved the detective specials for off-duty becuse they could use there k-frame speed loaders , hope this helps jr

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received a reply from Safariland that they do not make a C-II for the Colt DS, only a C-I. I guess they figure the DS is a CCW gun, not for target shooting or competition.

HKS makes a loader for the Colt DS and a sep. one for the SW 10&15.

I'm going to order HKS loaders for the DS and the SW 10&15. I'll get used to using them. One day, I may try the Safarilands, but later...

Thanks again for the info, folks. I'll let you know how it goes when I've used the HKS speedloaders.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen, after reading your replies, and other material, I decided to get HKS speedloaders.

MidwayUSA didn't have the DS-A in stock, and their model 10 was on sale. I received the model 10 yesterday afternoon. I tried it out on my 2 Smith K frames ¬ó very easy to use; I like it.

I ordered a model DS-A for my Colt DS from an eBay store. It should be here any day now.

Maybe one day, I'll get a Safariland out of curiosity, or maybe not. If it ain't broke, why fix it.?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Received today the "DS" model HKS speedloader; loaded both my Detective Specials just fine, even with the Compac grip panels.

Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew someone would ask me that question . . . give me a while to enjoy my coffee, and I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, you heard it here first, folks . . .

The model 10 HKS speedloader (designated for the SW model 10, 15, etc.) works fine with my two Colt Detective Specials as well.

And the HKS model DS (designated for the Colt DS, and others) also works fine with my SW models 10 & 15.

How about that, eh?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Years ago Masaad Ayoob recomended that the personn that carried a M19 or M10 S&W should carry a DS as a backup gun and that the speedloaders should be filled with +P ammo. That way if the officer were to lose/drop/have taken away one of his guns, the reloads on his belt would fit both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts