Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Recently purchased 2 Colt revolvers on this web site, very happily, and have noticed a small number 4, on the frame, at the rear of the trigger guard on this 1941 Officers Model, and a letter U, on a 1969 Officers Model Match. Do these numbers and letters have any significance? Do they represent the technician who may have built these guns? Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I think they are inspectors stamps BUT I dont know of anyone who actually knows WHAT part(s),specifically was/were inspected.

·
Registered
813 Posts
They are inspector's marks. Each inspector had a different mark and would stamp the revolver when it passed his inspection.

Reactions: rockyrider

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
rockyrider, Brent who is a member here may know what stamp is for what specific part inspection. If He reads this He may let us know. It would be nice to know what stamp belongs to what inspected part just for collector trivia knowledge. And then if we get one without a certain stamp, then we might assume that that part was not inspected,or maybe the inspector just forgot to stamp it.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,876 Posts
There are three key inspection stamps on Colt revolvers.

There is a tiny "VP" in a triangle on the left front of the trigger guard.
This is Colt's "Verified Proof" stamp indicating it passed it's proof firing test.

There is a letter stamp on the left rear of the trigger guard.
This is as I've heard, the stamp of the technician who assembled the gun.

There is a letter stamp on the frame just below the serial number.
I've heard this is the stamp of the final inspector.

It's possible I have the last two reversed, since this is simply what I was told years ago.

Colt 1911 autos usually have the "VP" stamp on the left rear trigger guard, another inspection stamp on the left front, and a third stamp on the right front trigger guard.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
This is on a Government Model, but the mark on the right side of the trigger guard represents the assembler. The mark on the left side trigger guard above the VP represents the Colt final inspector. The VP not only indicates proof firing, but that everything about the pistol passed final inspection. It was the last stamp put on the pistol or revolver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts