Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An inquiry directed to those predisposed to collecting the venerable 1911.
Is it a certain era, maybe a caliber? With over a century in production, multiple calibers and barrel lengths, etc. I am inclined to focus on a segment of the Colt catalog. Personally my small collection is primarily Commercial post war and I am going to attempt to acquire more Super .38 examples. Please share your thoughts.

· Registered
365 Posts
Thats a tough call as everyone who replies will like something different. Esp. if your buying a shooter or a safe queen. I'm a lefty and my favorite 1911's are Colt SS Xse's. I have a railgun and a combat commander both with factory ambi safety's. When I come across a Government model Xse in the right condition and price I'll move that into my Colt corral also. I do like the 1930's models but for the condition I want they are way beyond what I will spend.

· Registered
5,434 Posts
My main collecting interest is "Bullseye" guns using Colt's as base pistols and 1911-.22 Conversion Units.

A couple of Clark Custom Guns:

Colt .38 Special Kit (1966):

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Clark Long Heavy Slide .45 built on a Colt Series 70 Government Model (1978)

Air gun Azure Trigger Wood Gun barrel

John Giles (Giles .45 Shop Odessa, Florida) .38 Wadcutter built on a Colt Series 70 .38 Super (1974)

Automotive design Door Font Monochrome Monochrome photography

Colt Gold Cup National Match .38 Mid Range (1969)

Font Illustration Electric blue Revolver Circle

Marvel Precision Unit#1 1911-.22 Conversion Unit mounted on a Colt Combat Elite XSE (2014)

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Kart (Fred Kart-United States Arms Corp-pre Kart Sporting Arms) 6" 1911-.22 Conversion Unit mounted to a Colt Series 70 Government Model (1975)

Trigger Line Font Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Premium Member
2,666 Posts
An inquiry directed to those predisposed to collecting the venerable 1911.
Is it a certain era, maybe a caliber?
Not so much any particular era for me...but like the Colt SAA, it's the overall history that draws me to the gun and to the brand. As I've said before, no other firearms are so closely intertwined with the history of America.

It's in danger of becoming a cliché , but that phrase about "holding history in your hands" is never more true than when you're the owner of a vintage Colt.

· Registered
194 Posts
I tend to get pretty hot & bothered in the presence of a Pre-War Super .38 Automatic.
You mean like this?? 😉

Heres my 1937 Super Match that I’ve now shown off on this very forum quite a lot…😎

I am in the hunt for a same year National Match as a sister gun for this one. Yes, I am saving my money….

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Wood

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

· Registered
Hoarder of walnut and steel
194 Posts
All the 38 supers and the ww1 and ww2 ones are my soft spot, cant help myself when I see one reasonable priced. I just sold a complete 1917 us property rig with the belt,holster and mag pouch with the correct mags to match to the young guy working for me. I rarely sell my colts but this young man is my sons age and really appreciates the beauty in colt firearms and sold many of his Glocks to purchase ponies from me, I know I could have made good money on GB or another selling site but I've been selling him them for what I paid no matter how long ago because I know what its like at that age to want but can't afford. I don't worry about what my son thinks as hes gonna be getting more than he'll ever know what to do with.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.